Discuss Landlord certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dannyboygas

Hi lads and ladies.

Not posted since joining been thankfully mad busy. Just after some advice if anybody can, mainly, I rent a property from an estate agent and they said even though all my quals are up to date a gas engineer can not do a safety cert in his own home. Not really bothered either way, just being nosy.

Secondly, quoting for a bathroom at a village hall, anybody installed the cubicles themselves or is it best to get a joiner in?

Thanks

Nothing stopping you.
Perhaps they just see it as a conflict of interest or want to charge you 100 quid for it :p

Thankfully it's part of the rent so I don't have to pay it. Although I just thought it was pointless when I live there and could have done it for them (for a small cost) and done it properly. Didn't know whether it was a myth or if the conflict of interest comes in to play.

Also as a follow up, had a bit of a dilema over this. The bloke did not do the job correctly at all, what would you suggest? It seems obvious that you should be ringing gas safe, or would it be beneficial to speak to him (in the least condescending way possible) he is ex Bg, about 55 so should know better.

Also as a follow up, had a bit of a dilema over this. The bloke did not do the job correctly at all, what would you suggest? It seems obvious that you should be ringing gas safe, or would it be beneficial to speak to him (in the least condescending way possible) he is ex Bg, about 55 so should know better.

Ring Gas Safe if you think he's not done the job right. If you tell him yourself it may lead to confrontation.

It's because the estate agent will have an engineer who he gets a retainer fee of sorts off. Estate agent charges your for example ÂŁ100, agent keeps 20/30 quid and engineer keeps rest. If you do the job he misses out on his back hander

not that estate agents would they are a reputable bunch but its been rumoured that they get a blind monkey in give him as little as possible and then charge the owner a fortune for the llgsr

Your right billy, I don't honestly believe that would ever happen, it's just theoretical!

Believe me I'm aware of landlords and estate agents haha. 'How much?!' Seems to be there catchphrase. Ironic when they are renting out tiny boxes at ÂŁ7-800 a month. We barely get any work from estate agents now, due to charging accurately and doing the right thing in the right way, ie - the job.

Dancin, I know people cut corners, but no spillage test on cooker or boiler in bedroom, room sealed appliance granted but it's not much to check it. And also not doing a drop test, as in, not even opening the meter cupboard yet still ticking 'pass' next to the test box. I just couldn't do it personally, it's 4 mins for the sake of knowing you have done what you can.

I'd have a quiet word, iff he doesn't take it well that's his problem.

Not doing it properly at all ???

Crikey. Its not like theres loads to do anyway....
What did he not do to your liking ??

Sorry forgot to mention. Didn't do a safety device check on boiler or cooker either. It may be me getting carried away, but I like if it's a hob to whip out the oven and check the pipework.

Because as much as I would have liked to leave him be, he was a friendly bloke and wouldn't stop talking. Casing off, burner pressure checked - good. Casing back on. Checked in the loft to see if flue was clipped, again, good. Boiler done.

Gas hob, fired up, ran for 5/10 seconds, hob done. By your reaction maybe it's me being over zealous.

I check the ffd,s.only takes a minute. On cookers anyway.

Landlords cooker. Only moved in in October. Yes as it goes I always offer a brew and clear off leave them get on with it, I get customers standing over me and it doesn't really bother me as such but it can be off putting if it's something not going to plan. Kept trying to say right il leave you in peace then mate but he kept going on lol. I went for a brew and a cig in kitchen back door and he followed me in about 2 minutes after.

On the subject, does anybody else whip the ovens out? Iv found so many wrong before, ballofix on gas, cooker hoses etc.

Usually only 4 screws. I take out. Takes 2 mins and as light as a feather

My thoughts exactly Phil. Takes no time and then you know you're sorted. I'm not an angel but as far as gas and carbon monoxide go I just won't take any risks.

Secondly, quoting for a bathroom at a village hall, anybody installed the cubicles themselves or is it best to get a joiner in?

Thanks

Looks easy:
[video=youtube;TxwFQt7bGTc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxwFQt7bGTc[/video]

Thanks for that! Will watch when I get home, appreciate that. Of all the places to look I didn't check bloody YouTube!

I'm not reading all the old posts so I might be going over old ground.

I own and rent property and was told the same thing so I called Gas Safe and they said there is no rule that you can't own the property at all.

Simple and precise. Thanks thermological. Did think it was a bit silly, but you never know!

, but no spillage test on cooker or boiler in bedroom, room sealed appliance

. And also not doing a drop test, /QUOTE]

How can you do a spillage test on a cooker or a room sealed boiler?
Rightly or wrongly, a tightness test is not actually required on a LLGSC
Obviously, if you are going to tick the box, then you should do it.

By the way, I am about 55 and Ex Gas Board - where are you located?;)

I always say, it's not a 'spillage test' as in the smoke match method, but on a room sealed boiler or a cooker you can check it with your anton. And I have seen people talking about legal requirements ok here, how you can do a 'safety check' and not do a drop test is absolutely beyond me. I wouldn't be able to walk away from it. Just wrong. And near Crewe pal.

Dannyboygas I will tell you how you can do a LGSC and mark it safe without a TT, because it isn't part of the test, it is listed under the landlords requirements alongside service and maintenance as a recommendation but it doesn't have to be done as part of LGSC

Dannyboy, our job is hard enough without people like you making up their own rules

I'm not making up any rules turn it in, you say it as if i don't know how hard the job is? You can do whatever you want pal, as can I. Personally (as in, myself) I just wouldn't feel right doing a LSC and not doing a tightness test. It's four minutes and can save a lot of heartache later on.

I do a tightness test just for my own peace or mind. Don't want to leave a property and it have a massive leak somewhere.

I wouldnt say its making up rules, its more like exceeding the bare minimum legal requirements and its even in the recommendations.
I dont think anyone will criticise one when they discover a dangerous leak.

At the end of the day each to thier own but if somewhere went bang because of a perfectly discoverable gas leak and one said well its a recommendation but I didnt do it because I dont have to...well rather you than me...

Dannyboy, our job is hard enough without people like you making up their own rules

Thats a bit harsh, if the lad is doing his job to his satisfaction then he knows he has done it right......if you want to do the bare minimum then thats down to you, but dont slate him for being thorough.

The regs are a minimum. If somebody likes to go over and above for there own piece of mind, then fair enough.

i have always done a drop test as part of a landlords cert, i didnt realize that you didnt have too and that it was only recommended, in my opinion if a landlord is paying you to make sure the property is safe then surely this is one of the most important tests.

tightness test isnt part of the cert but if he didnt go to the meter how did he do gas rates which is part of the cert
llgs is a visual inspection if your taking out the oven to check pipework why are you not ripping down boxings and lifting floors

tightness test isnt part of the cert but if he didnt go to the meter how did he do gas rates which is part of the cert
llgs is a visual inspection if your taking out the oven to check pipework why are you not ripping down boxings and lifting floors

In honesty Steve it's simple. Because it takes 2 minutes, it's easy to do and not to mention I have came across so many hobs that the landlord or his handy man have fitted, with the incorrect fitting. That and gas Fire restricter elbow are the first places I check when there is a failure on a TT.

Dont know why I bother though, called Gas safe once to explain I have found a hob with a flexible hose and they basically said 'is it leaking?' No. 'Leave it then'.

My post did sound harsh,I should'nt have worded it like that ,but I was'nt responding to the Tightness Test,I always do one ,it was spillage tests on the boiler and cooker which I thought he was being a over zealous

It is over zealous, Scorps. Not doubting that, just something I do. If I didn't do it then I certainly wouldn't write 'pass'. In the unlikely event that I did find spillage, for the very short time it takes to do I certainly wouldn't be displeased.

I thought I'd sent a post soon after my first, appologising for the way it read, but I did that on my phone and reading back now I can see it did'nt get sent

so you mean a flue integrity test ? to check there is no poc escaping into the air intake of the boiler? personally I would always undertake a tightness test on a landlord gas safety cert. just looks professional , print 2 records of it off with a kane, keep one with your copy and one to the landlord with the cert. also a good way of generating more income, if you rent out a property and the gas engineer inform you of a gas leak, what are the chances you are going to be happy with him capping the gas off and refusing him to fix the leak..........

Dannyboygas, from your comment about why bother as gas safe said what's wrong with a hob being connected by a hose, are you suggesting that a hob CANNOT be connected by a hose or that in your own opinion you don't do it?

I am suggesting, Kirkgas, that I would never do it myself for one, secondly I have been led to believe, however from your post im sure you will now tell me other wise, connections to hob should be rigid unless the m-I states otherwise.

so you mean a flue integrity test ? to check there is no poc escaping into the air intake of the boiler? personally I would always undertake a tightness test on a landlord gas safety cert. just looks professional , print 2 records of it off with a kane, keep one with your copy and one to the landlord with the cert. also a good way of generating more income, if you rent out a property and the gas engineer inform you of a gas leak, what are the chances you are going to be happy with him capping the gas off and refusing him to fix the leak..........

No, I do a flue integrity test though, again it's a simple enough thing and gives me piece of mind. I check around the seal of the boiler and flue with my Anton, if it's in a compartment I leave it in there whilst gas rating. As said before, not required and over zealous, I'm a naturally paranoid person though, for example, if I repair or interrupt a joint I check it a few times over just to be sure. Struggle to sleep at night thinking about various business tasks as it is, bills, van repairs, time scales etc, if I didn't check everything until I was happy then I'd be a zombie! Ha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Landlord certificate in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Have any engineers on here purchased their gas certificate booklets from screwfix? Our landlord has been trying to evict us throughout the...
Replies
Views
J
Hi Looking to 'crowd-source' some public opinion on this one. I bought a studio apartment on 30th September 2022 and I'm currently working with...
Replies
Views
Morning all. Very new to this game after a 10 year hiatus. Any guidance would be much appreciated Sorry if this may seem like a silly question...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Just being nosey. How do you all carry your certificate completion out? Do you still use good old carbon copy pads? I know others pay...
Replies
Views
I'm back again after what is turning out to be abit of a headache, i had a boiler fitted recently and I was assured any necessary documentation...
Replies
Views
A
Back