Discuss How to test an old Ideal Concorde Gas Valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Ryster

Hello everyone,

Just a quick one, I have an old Ideal concorde boiler that the owner suspects isnt working. When I got to it, boiler was fine and working, although I did change a cracked thermocouple and an Piezo cable. But Im just after clarification on the procedure for testing a Honeywell gas valve. I have always used my manometer to do this but when I did this the guy I was working with today went "oh, thats not how I do that" and then proceded NOT to tell me how he does it.

So is this guy pulling my leg, or is there another way to do it? Im forever questioning what I know, but when people place the seed of doubt in your mind and then dont tell you the information - it kind of makes me boil! anyway,

Thanks in advance!

Feel free to either PM me or move this topic if it contains information that perhaps shouldnt be for public viewing?

Ryster there's no better way than a manometer on p1, pilot extinguished, T/C clicked off, gas off at boiler iso - No drop! IMHO ...That goes for any gas valve, old or new :)

how do you mean test ? if theres a flame at the burner its working
burner preasure can be checked with the manometer

Last edited:
Ryster there's no better way than a manometer on p1, pilot extinguished, T/C clicked off, gas off at boiler iso - No drop! IMHO ...That goes for any gas valve, old or new :)

Exactly.
I isolated the boiler, pilot off and just let the pressure sit, no drop so I was happy. Thats when this guy piped up saying thats not how he did it so thats when I started wondering if the way I was told to do it was correct or now.

By test I mean make sure the gas valve isnt sticking open when the pilot is turned off.

Perhaps he was talking about checking the drop out time for the thermocouple.

You're spot on Ryster, if you just do the click test it doesn't check that the valve hasn't stuck on.

in thirty five years ive never tested if a valve is closing and cant see why you would, if you got a call to a boiler that was staying on it would be obvious

in thirty five years ive never tested if a valve is closing and cant see why you would, if you got a call to a boiler that was staying on it would be obvious

Not if it was passing

You should be checking for fail to safe

As many will know,Honeywell "grey pop out button" type valves can stick especially if the shaft hasnt been lubed on service. Even so,and even with a nil drop on guage,its quite possible for them to pass a smellable leak. One could check at the main injector for rising gas readings but the right kit would be required. Honeywell Green square button valves are notorious for sticking pilot on as the green button tends to bind on the surrounding plastic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to test an old Ideal Concorde Gas Valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am troubleshooting a gas hob where one burner is reluctant to light. When it is lit and I blow the flame out the FSD on that burner cuts off...
Replies
Views
I've air tested pipework for years, typically 4 bar for 30 minutes. I've never had an issue with any pipework that has passed that test...
Replies
Views
Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages...
Replies
Views
Hi Guy's, Looking for some advice on an issue I have having with a recently installed thermostatic mixer shower in my ensuite. Everything was...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock