Search the forum,

Discuss How to Install Grip It Plasterboard Fixings! - Installation Notes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gripitfixings1

Grip It Fixings are a new range of plasterboard fixings on the market, designed to be able to be used on the "dot and dab" plasterboard as well as normal hollow cavity walls. Due to its slim griping wings it is able to open easily with the dab void to produce an effective secure fixing with excellent load bearing capability of up to 180kgs per fixing! excelling any cavity wall fixing currently available! - please see our website for more information!

We have had a few plumbers come back to us with a few issues on how are fixings work and how to install with ease so we thought we would put down a few installation notes:

1) When drilling the holes in the plasterboard:

- Too drill the holes for our fixings we either recommend that you use a "flat drill bit" or a "hole saw" (please use the correct size for the fixing being used) - The use of a twist drill is not recommended due to the tearing effect this produces at the back of the plasterboard, where our fixings arms need to open

2) When inserting the grip it fixings in to the plasterboard:

- Gently tap the fixing in to the plasterboard (we recommend that you insert a screw in the fixing and turn three or four times before tapping the fixing in to ensure that you will not loose the fixing behind the cavity) - Do not apply to much pressure when tapping the fixing in to the plasterboard with a hammer

- To ensure that you have tapped the fixing in at the right depth for the arms to open out, we advise that you use the depth gauge provided (on the depth gauge the 3mm protrusion is for non-plastered walls and the 6m protrusion is for plastered walls)

We recommend before inserting the Grip It Fixing you check for any obstructions that may prevent the locking arms from opening.

---

Like any new product, new installation methods are necessary and once mastered becomes second nature!

If anyone would like to sample our product or for more information please let us know.

Thanks,

Grip It Fixings

gripitfixings are not a forum sponsor but very kindly donated packs of there fittings to forum members for them to test out in the real world and give feed back.

there is no need to report this message as spam

Last edited by a moderator:
I've used them on a couple of jobs now. It's a bit worrying drilling such a large hole but they held okay.

\i think i have seen some locally, they dont fill me full of confidence if truth be told

I was offered a sample but knocked them back. Too much faffing around for me.

It's a shame no one has made a specific wall plug for dot and dab walls. Say with a brown plug end with a solid bit that would go between the depth of the plasterboard and adhesive to stop the board been compressed.
maybe there is something out there or have I invented something ?

Grip It Fixings are a new range of plasterboard fixings on the market, designed to be able to be used on the "dot and dab" plasterboard as well as normal hollow cavity walls. Due to its slim griping wings it is able to open easily with the dab void to produce an effective secure fixing with excellent load bearing capability of up to 180kgs per fixing! excelling any cavity wall fixing currently available! - please see our website for more information!

We have had a few plumbers come back to us with a few issues on how are fixings work and how to install with ease so we thought we would put down a few installation notes:

1) When drilling the holes in the plasterboard:

- Too drill the holes for our fixings we either recommend that you use a "flat drill bit" or a "hole saw" (please use the correct size for the fixing being used) - The use of a twist drill is not recommended due to the tearing effect this produces at the back of the plasterboard, where our fixings arms need to open

2) When inserting the grip it fixings in to the plasterboard:

- Gently tap the fixing in to the plasterboard (we recommend that you insert a screw in the fixing and turn three or four times before tapping the fixing in to ensure that you will not loose the fixing behind the cavity) - Do not apply to much pressure when tapping the fixing in to the plasterboard with a hammer

- To ensure that you have tapped the fixing in at the right depth for the arms to open out, we advise that you use the depth gauge provided (on the depth gauge the 3mm protrusion is for non-plastered walls and the 6m protrusion is for plastered walls)

We recommend before inserting the Grip It Fixing you check for any obstructions that may prevent the locking arms from opening.

---

Like any new product, new installation methods are necessary and once mastered becomes second nature!

If anyone would like to sample our product or for more information please let us know.

Thanks,

Grip It Fixings

Hi Gripitfixings, I do have some free samples and did a small review on here although I was very rushed at the time and maybe didn't give them a proper test. Under what test conditions did you do the 180kg test? Thats over twice my body weight hanging on two little metal wings behind the plasterboard.

I will try them again this week if I get chance, although on site its sometimes easier for me the just cut two stubs of 15mm and insert those in a dot & dab wall against the breeze block and use 3.5" screws. the rad bracket is then fixed solidly to the wall and would be even if all the plasterboard was ripped off around it.

I will give them another go though.

It's a shame no one has made a specific wall plug for dot and dab walls.
Spit had one about 20 odd years ago. They might still make them. I have a few kicking about somewhere in the garage as i saw them in the summer when i emptied the place to paint the floor. If i remember where i put them i'll post a pic up.

It's a shame no one has made a specific wall plug for dot and dab walls. Say with a brown plug end with a solid bit that would go between the depth of the plasterboard and adhesive to stop the board been compressed.
maybe there is something out there or have I invented something ?

It's been made. Can't remember the name but they are out there. I'll post next time I spot them. No offence to the op but I would much rather fix to the solid blocks behind the plasterboard.

It's been made. Can't remember the name but they are out there. I'll post next time I spot them. No offence to the op but I would much rather fix to the solid blocks behind the plasterboard.

Can you find them?

I bought some of these for a job requiring a big radiator on plasterboard!

I did some tests on a sheet of plasterboard secured to a timber frame in the garden! Nothing scientific etc... I compared grip it fixings to my regular Fischer expander that is used with the expander gun type ones!

If I'm honest, the grip it fixings seemed to offer less load bearing than a regular Fischer fixing which only claims about 20-30 kg... 180kg on this grip it i would consider nonsense, they then say safe load of 90 kg or similar...

As per the installation, there fiddily & the little wings on the grip it fixing dont bite into the board like a Fischer fixing... They just sit in the plasterboard... Also alot more expensive...

amazing how many blokes knock a hole through plaster board for toggles and other cavity fixing not realising the back of the hole will be a crater and leave little strength in the board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How to Install Grip It Plasterboard Fixings! - Installation Notes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock