Discuss Hot water problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martin2

I’m looking for some advice on a problem I have with the hot water system. I’m not too au fait with boilers etc, so as simple as possible please ;-)

Boiler is an Ideal Classic FF260
Open vent system (Storage tank in airing cupboard, 2 open tanks in loft space)

For the last year after the hot water alone has been on for 10 minutes or longer, the pipes above the boiler begin to clunk, eventually this causes all pipework in the loft space to clunk resulting in warm/hot water being vented from the overflow. If the heating is on at the same time, this happens much less often (as it has been winter the heating has been on regularly, but as summer approaches I will want to turn off the heating). If the heating is on alone (no hot water) then there is no problem whatsoever, it has been on 24 hours at times. An engineer visited last year, didn’t seem to know what the problem was and said the following
1) Run the boiler at setting 4 ( of 6)
2) Run the Pump at highest setting (of 3)
3) Run Central Heating for 10 minutes before hot water (minimal success with this as water still eventually vents)
4) Power Flush the system
From what I have read about Power Flushes this seems to be primarily cleaning radiators and improving heating. As the central heating seems fine, radiators warm evenly, I’m uncertain what benefit this will give and don’t want to spend money and be no nearer fixing the real issue.

Any advice on what maybe causing the problem would be much appreciated, and also advise on whether a power flush would resolve the problem.

Thank You

It sounds like your boiler is overheating, also sounds like your heating engineer wasn't very helpful.

As the most likely cause of your problems involve removing the boiler case you'd need a Gas Safe engineer to investigate.

Perhaps put an ad on this forum for an engineer in your area.

My FF260 doing the same thing, there seems to be some inital noise like air rushing through the Rads, followed by the entire pipework having fir and then the overflow in the loft blasting hot water out into the garden.
It seems to happen at random and can't see any pattern to it.

Did you resolve or identify the issue?

Pumping over can be caused by many factors and can also be very dangerous, you should get a gas safe engineer in ASAP.

turn down the pump. powerflush may help. not the answer to everything though. Could be with boiler and as said get a gsr for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot water problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Heating and hot water is not working. Plenty of heating oil. I have replaced batteries in thermostat and it seems to be working ok, showing flame...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I wonder if you can help me? I have intermittent hot water low flow from all taps in my 4 bedroom house upstairs and downstairs. I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My disabled daughter’s hot water has stopped working. It’s a relatively modern Potterton boiler with an indirect sealed hot water system and a...
Replies
Views
Hoping someone can please help. I have an intermittent fault with my electric hot water. I have an older style electric hot water service that...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock