Search the forum,

Discuss Honeywell motorised valve playing up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Leo

Good afternoon – I am really stuck with a diagnosis here and hope to get your help.

The system has 2 Honeywell V4043H1056 motorised valves. Their outside levers are both set to “auto”. No problems at all with the Central Heating valve or the programmer (ST6400C). The issue is with the hot water valve: When the heating or the hot water have not been on for many hours, the programmer will send a signal to the hot water valve, the valve will “try” to kick into action (makes a noise) but the inside arm of the valve that is supposed to press on the inside little button to trigger the boiler, does not actually reach the little button! If, on the other hand the boiler has been on recently, when the programmer sends the signal, the hot water valve kicks in and works fine. When it doesn’t work, I just click on the programmer’s “override” off-on repeatedly until the valve does finally work. So:

1. Summer day, heating is not on during the night or day, at 4:30pm when the water tries to start, the valve fails and the boiler does not receive a signal. I have to manually try to start the water.
  2. Cold day, heating is on during the day, water starts at 4:30pm without issues.

I find it incredibly strange that the boiler having been on recently has any bearing on a valve’s internal arm reaching its full clicking position or not!
I thought of replacing the top part of the valve (the part of the gears) but then again this works perfectly fine when the system is more frequently on. Any recommendations?

Thanks very much

Welcome to the forum Leo. The arm is made of very thin metal, and the cogs (teeth) cut into it are prone to stripping, allowing the arm to slip off the brass cogwheel that rotates to move the arm.

Why it works when the system is hot - I can only surmise that the heat conducted down the pipe is allowing the metal components to expand enough to force a better contact, making the arm move without slipping.

As above, ^^ they tend to work intermittently due to teeth worn on arm, plus the arm seems to be very loose. Not great those Honeywell valves I think and looks like you will need a new Honeywell actuator, or have someone replace the entire valve with another brand if you wanted. Centre Brand motorised valves are a lot cheaper.
Danfoss - avoid! Drayton break inside after a few years. I actually think Myson, which are a cheap valve, seem reasonable.

gone over to EPH same much stronger,also a EPH head will fit directly to a honeywell body but you need the newer version of the EPH valve to do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Honeywell motorised valve playing up. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have tried hard to get similar to the first class satchwqell /Sunvic SML type revolving type valves instead of the quite short lived spring return type valves. I saw an advert from the Hearken company who either make these or buy them in. The only problem they are BSP threads so adaptors are...
Replies
Views
Hi Folks, Please advise as i wish to change a motorised valve connected to a heat only gas boiler: Turn off the boiler Turn off the mains water Find a draining point and drain system Replace motorised valve Make sure draining point is closed. Turn on mains...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
We have a Drayton 27101 - 3 port motorised valve 22mm compression Issue: when heating switches on there is no hot water, when you switch heating off you get hot water. I replaced the motor in the motorised valve, everything started to work like it should. But an hour later and the same...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, Short version: Do frost protection valves trigger when the water in the pipe gets to threshold, or when the air temp drops? Long version: I'd rather use frost protection + anti-freeze cycle on my mitsubishi ecodan heat pump. The warranty is apparently fine with that combination, and it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock