Discuss Hi newbie here - in a pickle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Frankenstein

Hi, quick summary:

Took out a new credit card from post office with interest free loan for up to 27 months with view to buying a car from a dealer. Found a car though private buyer so couldn't use the card, I paid cash.

I have a 30 year old Glow Worm (non-condensing) which works fine but I'm probably on borrowed time. I don't want an interest free loan to go to waste so I reckon this might be a good time to invest in a new boiler. Here's the problem (or at least one of them). I need use the card within the next 3 months in order to qualify for the 27 month interest free loan.

I know very little about boilers but I'm quite good at picking up technical stuff (not doing it, just understanding it).

Is this forum the right place to pick brains? If so get ready for an avalanche of questions.

Thanks in advance.

If you want advice on what boiler to install - from this forum.

It may take you 27 months to make a decision.

It's not that there aren't any good boilers available, but the opinions you will get, will leave you needing a psychiatrist or 'Life Coach' to help you making a decision on which one to have installed.

If you want advice on what boiler to install - from this forum.

It may take you 27 months to make a decision.

It's not that there aren't any good boilers available, but the opinions you will get, will leave you needing a psychiatrist or 'Life Coach' to help you making a decision on which one to have installed.

I've just started looking at the threads - I see what you mean. But I enjoy learning technical stuff, I should have made an effort to understand boilers years ago.

But I enjoy learning technical stuff, I should have made an effort to understand boilers years ago.

So should have I....and many others on here.

Best boiler to install - one recommended by the customer.
So do your homework and recommend a boiler to your chosen installer

Welcome frankenstein , any questions just fire them up and youl get sound advise,, all engineers have different experiences and have different views on makes and models ,, but a phsichy maybe needed indeed lol

Welcome frankenstein , any questions just fire them up and youl get sound advise,, all engineers have different experiences and have different views on makes and models ,, but a phsichy maybe needed indeed lol

My first impressions from this forum are:

In terms of reliability, Vaillant, WB & Ideal are probably equal. The key seems to be a clean system and correct installation with a dual magnetic/particle filter (and something to take care of the hard water - but not a softener). Apparently I can't powerflush easily because I have some microbore pipework, and I have to avoid an acid based inhibitor. And of course I've got to find a good installer.

The WB 30CDi + Fernox TF1 filter seems a front runner at present but the Ideal Vogue has caught my eye - but in all honesty, I haven't really got much of a clue yet.

If you want top end, it could be easily argued the Viessmann, ATAG and Vaillant are premium brands. That said, anything fitted correctly should stand you in good stead.

Get some estimates first and then take it from there. Post them up on here if you like.

Ask 10 installers and you`ll get 10 different answers to which boiler on here.

Narrow it down to a few then find the installers in your area and ask them, it helps if they are familiar with the boiler.

How many people in the house along with how many radiators, showers, basins etc will come in to it as well. (I believe)

Last edited:
Ask 10 installers and you`ll get 10 different answers to which boiler on here.

Narrow it down to a few then find the installers in your area and ask them, it helps if they are familiar with the boiler.

How many people in the house along with how many radiators, showers, basins etc will come in to it as well. (I believe)

How do you find a good installer? There must be boiler cowboys out there.

There is at least one member in Southampton and others not far away from you.

[DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi newbie here - in a pickle in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

WB 4000 installed a few months back, just balanced the 7 rads - managed to get around 15 degrees delta across most rads. Not quite the 20 degrees...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can I pick your brains? My boiler is often reluctant to start, sometimes it does, sometimes it seems that it will if the demand is from the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just checking I'm not talking rot. Today I visited a house with a Baxi 228 combi boiler. The technical spec for the DHW output is shown in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope all is well. New on here. I am on bimmer forum UK for the BMW car. & not to forget the Xbox forum, my 2 things that I love & my wife...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I'm having a nightmare at the moment with lazy Homecare BG engineers but that's another story. I'm pretty competent, so looking for a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock