Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton boiler reset issue in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys
I'm having a nightmare at the moment with lazy Homecare BG engineers but that's another story.
I'm pretty competent, so looking for a bit of guidance.
I have a fsb 30, yes Ive heard all the stuff about these being rubbish. it kind of works ok BUT lately (after a so called BG fix) when I have water and rads on timed together when heating kicks, the rads won't heat up then the red light on boiler comes on and I have to reset the boiler and all starts working fine,both heating and hot water for the timed duration
I'm connected via hive system, have had BG clean out condensate trap and serviced in last week and boiler is "serviced" every year by them.
Could this be a pcb issue.
Boiler is 12 years old. I have had BG out 4 times now and always say its fixed but when I get home it isn't.
Last guy was do rude on the phone to me saying you need a new boiler this is too difficult for me to fix!! We do interest free credit... Tool
They seem to bit want to fix anything nowadays.

They don't get commission or get to keep their job if they only fix things.

And if it's too difficult for one of their "Expert" engineers to fix, with all the Technology they have at their disposal then they should find another job, maybe with Dynorod, another company in the same group.

I had one BG engineer in particular, he's the one that had been last two visits.
Nightmare I keep service reports and work carried out and last time I had a issue with actual boiler was 2019, so it's not as if it goes wrong every month.
And the first engineer that came out in the sheet work comments NEVER mentioned need new boiler, last guy did, sorry they are just lazy can't be bothered BG is a shambles.
Also the trap was blocked and its part of a condensate boiler service, when I questioned why the first engineer who serviced didn't check it as part of the service this reply was and I'm being 100% honest was "there is a pipe in the way that makes it awkward"
My boiler is in a massive cupboard loads of room grant you they have to bend down but I can easily inspect all they have to.
Also the last guy who was the worse left bottom screw cap on trap loose and it was leaking again.
So I got under there myself and tightened it.
BG are terrible now.
And its always the older engineer always miserable like they don't want to be there doing the job.
The. Pictures below are of the mess he left wet paper towel and floor wet
I must add the condensate pipe drain into the stack has been like this for over 12 years and NVER a issue before the experts comment lol
20221202_183410.jpg

Why not cancel your BG contract if they’re that dire then? Try saving each month for when it does go wrong and use a local independent engineer? If its just boiler related maybe get Baxi out to it?

Why not cancel your BG contract if they’re that dire then? Try saving each month for when it does go wrong and use a local independent engineer? If its just boiler related maybe get Baxi out to it?
Yes next step... Only got bad this year prior they were OK.
It's a insurance I'd rather have a policy in place
I'm looking to switch it ASAP, anyways thats not really what this post is about I'm after maybe someone who's had a similar issue.
You seem to be questioning my review of BG?
You only need to pop onto trust pilot to see I'm not alone.
You don't happen to be a BG engineer by any chance 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
Yes next step... Only got bad this year prior they were OK.
It's a insurance I'd rather have a policy in place
I'm looking to switch it ASAP, anyways thats not really what this post is about I'm after maybe someone who's had a similar issue.
You seem to be questioning my review of BG?
You only need to pop onto trust pilot to see I'm not alone.
You don't happen to be a BG engineer by any chance 🤣🤣🤣🤣
No affiliation with BG and have heard they’re crap, no questioning just trying to ask a logical question about the BG contract.

👍Yup this year they really have gone down hill... Mind you has been over two years since I had a actual boiler issue, the last issue was a pump replacement.
They only seem to want to stick a probe in ya flue and run now..... 🙄 Any actual fault finding and harder work seems to be to much of a chore.

Still got the leak when checked after he left, he had left the right trap section bung loose and was leaking straight onto floor, I recorded it
So had to get under and tighten it myself... This is BG engineers for you, terrible.
Ive now got issue with heating and water on at same time in schedule on hive, very rarely they will work at same time.
More often I get a red light reset error on boiler.
Then I go into switching off resetting boiler and then eventually somethung comes to life and I get heating eventually to come on boiler seems to work OK seems signals are mixed or issue electrical
Could there be a pcb problem? I'm looking at DIY solutions as fed up with BG

Last edited:

Reply to Potterton boiler reset issue in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock