Search the forum,

Discuss Hi all looking for advice on training centres in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mcfarland

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on Plumbing/Gas courses,

I'm currently working in Iraq doing private security and before then I was in the army so I have no experience in the trade but I'm very eager to learn and willing to spend the money to get a level of training needed to gain the qualifications I also understand that qualifications will not make me a plumber but I need to start some where.
But more I look into the training centre's on offer harder it's becoming to pick one. The one's which seem like a good bet are MET-UK, BTSC and OLCI I'm looking for insight on the training especially BTSC as they say they guarantee work placement.

All your comments on these training centres will be much appreciated.

Welcome to Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice | Plumbers Forums | A forum for plumbers advice in the UK!

Hello Mcfarland, welcome aboard www.UKPlumbersForums.co.uk. Stick around, I'm sure you'll like the place. :)

Hello Mate, PPL Training in York is the only one I have had experience with, did a few short courses with them, but they do all the NVQ stuff too as do some coleges, all this training can be expensive so do your homework, but I found them pretty good and they're expanding now I think. Do a search and give them a ring. Also,the Pathfinder mag, for service leavers, has a few options for training providers, not got one but will get one and post some of them here if you need em.

Don't worry too much about starting from scratch, lots do. I did, 8 years ago and look at me now, still skint! lol. I got a lucky break when I got out, joined the TA (quick route back in and a back up for when it goes pear shaped)and got a job labouring for a plumber/CSM, which helped me learn lots of plumbing stuff. Only I've moved away now and a as sole trader requires learning the business side of it too. Hard lessons these can be, too.

What area are you planning to settle in? Slim chance of you being from North Wales with a name like that, but you never know.

Best of luck anyway mate.

welcome to you.

eyessss-up, pipe bender from van, on the ready 2-3...
bet your csm's a barrell of laughs, eh?.

could do with security in some of the dodgy n'hoods i work in to carry me £3k a week home without being mugged.lol.

good luck

Hi Mcfarland,,hopefully you will find info you require in some of the posts,maybe try a search of the posts

Look after yourself out there !!!!

welcome-0005a.gif

my only comment is to make sure you pay by monthly direct debit, then when they go bust you dont lose the lot, keep the boots polished.

Hi and Good Luck with your chosen career path. I have experience with a number of training providers being on the assessment side, and although i am not going to recommend any in particular as all the courses lead to a theory certificate, it is important if you want to get somewhere in gas that you chose a provider who not only offers work placement but actual Training, and More importantly "Solo Assessment" in the field otherwise you may just end up with a qualification and very little hope of it becoming more than that. There are only 2 gas registered companies i am aware of who do that, but they don't train you from a college, they train you in the field, and do your theory in house just like an employee. Just a suggestion, but use this as a prominent angle of questioning when choosing to invest. I would suggest your end goal is considered in all of it. Don't just let the companies tell you what to do, tell them what you want and then make a concerted choice. Good Luck With your career path

Welcome to the world of learning dude, glad you made it back, now we need our boys back!

Hope the plumbing goes well for you, I took up one of these studying in your own time courses, some have said there good some have said there bad, what ever you do buddy just go with what you feel is right.

regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hi all looking for advice on training centres in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
B
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock