Search the forum,

Discuss Head wrecker! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeebeedee

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got a row of 6 houses on my contract all new builds. Worcestor greenstar r28 he system http://www.acwilgar.co.uk/Boiler-Manual-PDF/Worcester Bosch/GreenStar 28 HE System.pdf

Problem is radiators in the back of the house only get Luke warm unless you turn the front off. There is a gate valve fitted acting as a bypass just after the return out the cylinder. This has some affect but not much. Today I worked out that if its on heating only the rads heat up fine, select both heating/hot water and the rads at the back of the house go Luke warm until the hot water is satisfied.

Pumps fine, system is balanced, no sludge clean as a whistle, what the hells going on????? The best theory I can come up with is the system layout, possible one pipe system to the rear of the property.

Fit an auto bypass and a balancing valve on the hw return.
Balance the system again while the hw is on.
Won't be a 1 pipe on a new build.

Unlikely that the gate on the cylinder return is a bypass.

More likely to be a throttling/balancing valve. Turn it off then call for heating and hot water.
Gradually open the gate valve until you get heat at the flow.

Now check if the cooler rads are getting warmer.

Last edited:
Throttling valve will restrict the flow through the primary the same as a lockshield
on a radiator. So will let more flow to the further rads.

Throttling valve will restrict the flow through the primary the same as a lockshield
on a radiator. So will let more flow to the further rads.

Turning the gate valve completely off has very little effect though. It was the first thing I went for after ruling out the pump/sludge.

Is the problem on the 6 houses or only 1?
Sounds like pipework is undersized or if its microbore it may be too long of a run from the manifold.

I think the systems have an internal by-pass so this could be worth a look

I had a job like this; last 2 rads on the system luke warm, and it turned out that the 3-port valve was faulty and Custard was getting hw & heating at the same time (they thought it was normal)

Is the problem on the 6 houses or only 1?
Sounds like pipework is undersized or if its microbore it may be too long of a run from the manifold.

Every house! Some worse than others this ones the worst offender , back on Monday so ill take some boards up and look at the pipe work

Design fault then, do as above have said auto bypass, balancing valve on cylinder.
They are probably piped wrong aswell.

crack it on one and you have the other 5 property's sorted aswell.

how can turning the gate valve off do very little but running the heating only gets them warm? is this not the same thing?

sounds like bad system design, probably long runs off micro bore or manifolds linked out somewhere. I had a problem on a new build job once where the donut who first fixed used 4 port manifolds piping up two rads and linking the other two ports across to the other manifold. This caused a bypass and i could not get the rads very warm. it was in ceiling voids in flats so i had to make a right mess to find the problem. ;(

tek some 2x2 with you to brace the chipboard floors when you put em back down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Head wrecker! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a downstairs rad that has a 23 year old TRV and it's barely heating up. I bled it, and removed the TRV head and it still just gets a bit warm. It seems to be warm over all the rad, not just at the bottom. The rest of the system heats up fine with the other rads getting hot. It's sealed...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK. I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and the domestic heat exchanger for the hot water tank (300litres). Old heating system with steel 2-inch pipes and cast iron segmented rads We were warned...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a sealed system with 18 Rads/towel rads which is run by a greenstar boiler with a sealed hot water tank. I'm using a tado thermostat and the Pump is a 15/50 Groundfos. The issue is there are two radiators that are cold. So I closed down every radiator except for these two, apart...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock