Search the forum,

Discuss Has anyone set up in business recently in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cwrplumbing

Hi guys has anyone set up in business recently and if so how successfull have you been in getting your customers.

I set up 6 months ago it's going well just starting to pick up now. I kept my ear open for any work painting hanging doors and such and just told them I went to college doing plumbing now all my work is plumbing pretty much.

What is the best way to get customers ? I have been working in the plumbing & heating industry for the past 15 years. Iam very good at what i do when it comes to plumbing & heating. I would like to know how to make it in the self employed world as i have always worked for a company, Anyone got any constructive ideas on how to make that transition?

Of course mate it is very fulfilling to work for yourself. The best way for me is to walk around in my work trousers live and breath it don't turn off at 5 turn off to sleep even then if you forgot something get up and go write it down. I know it's vague I will try and give you some more tips...Alot of people on here say don't advertise in the yellow pages waste of money they much prefer local paper. things like "immediate attention , no job too small 15 years experience reasonable rates." sounds good. Look around at other tradesmen like electricians see what stands out to you. Speak to other tradesmen tell them your a plumber just starting out and you will subcontract for them for cheap just to get started. Joiners and builders subcontract the most I've noticed. get a list of local tradesmen ring them up. Hope it helps dude.

my big problem is that I work for a big company so i need to put in place were I can do the self employed bit part time for, probably 12 months I havent got th b***s to leave and go do it, any other suggestions on how to tackle this part time. would it be a case of go hand out leaflefts door to door etc.

Ah I see sometimes bravery is poorly masked stupidity lol. Good idea not to go solo just yet mate well done.

Part time hmmm....Leaflets do work but very slowly something like 1 in 100 you'll get a return. Is there no way you can just give the customers your company has your card and say you'll do it cheaper? I've heard a lot of people do that and it works.

Hi.The prime difference between empoyed and self employed is cashfow and getting paid as the work is completed. Credit in my opinion is no longer an option for your customers. Make that clear on day one. Just draw a wage from you self employed activities and reinvest in your business with the surplus. Do not be afraid to knock on doors to get work and improve communication skills along with accounting/bookkeeping. Good Luck

People have done this and have come & gone. I have seen this too many time's and its a route I wont go down but thanks anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think I might get rid of the lads who work for me, just in case they follow CWRs advice advice and steal my customers !

Last edited:
No engineers have tried to take the companys customers. Dropping off leaflets feels a safer bet LOL

Lol it was my advice it is one way of building up business whether it's ethical or not....well it's not really lol

No but sounds good HA HA HA HA HA

It would be easy as i am a boiler breakdown repair engineer as well as a wet plumber, I go to about 40 customers a week to repair their central heating systems or leaking wc for example. There is the honest customers that will ring the office and advise that the engineer said they would do the job cheaper.LOL

Lol well I see what you mean. Just speak to the ones who aren't happy with the company haha

I find most who set up rarely understand how much outlay is needed in the advertising area, sure after a few years you don't need to advertise at all especially if it's ch installs and everything works off recommendation. You will be looking at spending £500 -800 a month on advertising alone if you are in a big city on start up , there is so much competition it is not even funny, forget the first page of google if you are not at the top you will get nothing . There is a lot i speak to saying they are dry for work and when I ask how much they spend on ads they say £100 a month and oh i have been out flyering and not had anything from it ! I know you wont , then this just makes them think oh i'll just drop my price and do it for less because they grasping for work. Fact is if you are looking to pull in over 3k a month then advertise like crazy. I think there was a day when you could just get a yellow pages add for a grand and thats enough , nowadays everyone is online or people find you from the craziest of places, had a job two days ago from a flyer I handed out in 2006!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi there CRW. I'm in the same boat as you at the moment. I'm wanting to start up on my own but scared ****less of making the jump. I've done bits here and there for family and friends and think I can make a name for myself as a business. I am definitely taking the safe bet and doing it as a second job. I work full time for a company doing reactive maintenance and servicing on schools. I'm finally getting my builders butt in order and getting the ball rolling. Just remember you need your own insurance for your own jobs. I've found it for about £250 including hot works for the year. Have a look on this site in the insurance part and get some quotes. It will be hard and you will have to do a lot of advertising, vista print is cheap for business cards, van magnets ect. Best bet is post the cards yourself when you get time and target posh areas. That way you can charge them that little bit more. The key thing you need to do is every job you do. Put the profit to one side and use it to get your materials for the next job and so on. At the end of the day as long as you've got your main wage coming in. Any extra money you make from self employment stick it to one side and build up enough money for when you do go it alone.

hope it helps pal and good luck.

Yeah good luck macca , good plan and attitude , though I will say every time I meet a tiler or spark that hands me a vista print 250 cards free crappy little business card it goes straight in the bin. Spend £50 on some that look good as people will know you have just set up otherwise.

Cheers John will bear that in mind. Do you know any good printers in Leeds then? I won't post them on your turf lol.

i got ot the net , goodprint. Haha did'nt notice you were in leeds, where abouts are you? do you do gas?

Based in East Leeds, No don't have gas. Wish I did, supposed to have got my industrial at company I work for. But never happened. Where abouts are you?

Hi Guys, its a small world im in Leeds too, in my job I cover all yorkshire & humberside LPG & NAT GAS.

lol steve looking back at the joke it is actually sadder than I remember....

Gosh it is a small world CWR. Now I know your in Leeds aswell, you remember that advice I gave you? don't take no notice. I don't want you nicking my potential customers lol. Only joking, at least you have the gas side to help you out. Would you have to re-register yourself with Gas Safe under your own company name then to do gas on your own? Does anyone know how you would go about registering self employed and setting up a company name up ect.

Macca2009 - it's sensible to employ an accountant for your year end figures so if you haven't found one, these are questions they can answer for you. It won't cost you a bomb to ask these questions and if you don't like them much then you find another one for the year end stuff. If you do like them, you've found yourself a new accountant.

Most of this info is free of charge if you look. A phone call to Gas Safe. A phone call to HMRC. A visit to your local Business Link.

Best of luck - it's tough out there at the moment (well, not this last couple of weeks) but next year with the VAT rise will not make things any easier.

Cheers mate, been meaning to ring business link up now for a bit and see what they can do. need to get me finger out.

Reading this and a couple of other threads, and trying to get a feel of what it is that holds people back from wanting to go it alone.

Is it fear of not finding customers? The expense of setting up? The admin that goes with owning a business? Trying to keep track of exactly where you are, what you owe when your insurance runs out etc etc?

Any thoughts I'd be interested to hear. Here or PM if you prefer....

I'm starting up also, i currently have a business advisor who is helping me and I am going to see PSYBT(princes scottish youth business trust) Panel in January to try get grants and loans for a van and Gas Safe Register. I know a Joiner who does maintenance and he is going to sub contract work to me, i have been doing work casual at the moment but nothing permanent, I actually wanted to do this as a 2nd job while still working for my company but Commercial Plumbing is Dying and so is my company, so I got payed off :p My Business Advisor said he's going to help me with my Books and Tax Returns for my first year, then leave me on my own

Good luck GQuigley67 I know what you mean about commercial plumbing. Works drying up south of the border as well. How did you come across the business adviser then? I could do with someone like that to help me get off in the right direction.

I think that trying to build a business while working full-time for someone else is very difficult. You'll be hungrier for the work when you don't have the safety net of full-time employment. That said, you will need some capital behind you. Keep your overheads low, cut back on your social life in the short term to save money, work will come from word of mouth...it all takes time. Find a good business networking group (one that has other tradesmen), join some clubs (football, rugby etc). It helps if you have children as you meet other parents - everyone needs a plumber! (but don't have children just to fulfill your business plan). Everytime you meet someone for the first time is a sales opportunity......let everyone know what you do. Good luck.

Good luck GQuigley67 I know what you mean about commercial plumbing. Works drying up south of the border as well. How did you come across the business adviser then? I could do with someone like that to help me get off in the right direction.

I went to my local regeneration agency, explained my situation told them that i'm not looking for work im looking to set up my own business, they told me to come back the following week to meet my business advisor and he gave me a business plan template to work on, and he is one of the members of PSYBT(princes' scottish youth business trust) he is personally recommending me to them and I have to go see a panel in january, Dragons den eat your heart out :p he is also going to help me with my first year free of charge.

I don't know how it is down south or how old you are (I'm 21) but I'm sure there is help out there for you, at the end of the day the more businesses there are, the better for the economy i think thats the way they see it.

I'm trying to get the maximum of 5 grand loan for a van, and im investing around £1000 in my own money towards my training for CKR1 HTR1 and CPA1 and getting gas safe registered. I've also invested over £1000 in tools already, but I hope this all goes in my favour :p we'll see come january :p but all the best mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Has anyone set up in business recently in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't rip me off? An office guy recommended me to apply for government rebates and get it installed through timetosave.com.au. How reliable is this...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock