Search the forum,

Discuss Gravity Fed Hot Water System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kirk Sherratt

Hi all,

Hope this is in the right section but I have a question about my baxi Bermuda back boiler gravity Fed system.
Could anybody tell me why when I have just the hot water on the upstairs radiators are always on? It also does this if the heating is on but below the temp on the thermostat. So in effect the pump is not running as it doesn't need to for the hot water or when the heating is below the set temperature.
It's really annoying as what's the point in wanting to regulate your heating with a thermostat because when it hits temperature it's only the downstairs radiators that play ball?
The options I have on my system are Hot water or Hot water and central heating.
I hope that came across right??

Any help massively appreciated!!!

Hello Kirk. Has it always worked like that?
One possibility if it always heated upstairs radiators, is the radiator circuit has incorrectly been piped in a gravity type of pipe work to upstairs. Get a heating engineer to check it over

Its a pretty old boiler and with gravity hot water to cylinder, your upstairs rads might also be able to get warm through gravity. IE without pump on. You could change pipework but it might be more cost effective to upgrade to a more efficient boiler.

Thanks for the quick reply. Excuse my ignorance but how will a new boiler help with the existing pipework still in place?

Thanks Best.
I will do I think as it has always been that way. Ex council house.

Cheers

It was just a quick over view with information given, Changing from a back boiler to lets say a combi or systems boiler, would alleviate the problem of any transferred heat to your central heating system when you were calling for hot water only.

That makes sense bud, provided it is piped up correctly ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Your boiler possibly has the flow to upstairs rads just rising out of boiler.
I am not gas qualified, but I am sure the advice would be go for a new wall mounted boiler with all modern controls for efficiency and comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gravity Fed Hot Water System in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
This valve is fitted to the lower heating coil of the hot water cylinder Can anyone say what is the point of it I have been told its a thermostatic valve to control hot water temp so would have thought it may be in the wrong position ?Any explanations welcome
Replies
Views
J
Hi Can somebody tell me if a standard heat source pump installation uses a pressurized hot water tank? Or will the pressure for the hot water be the same as with my oil boiler and water storage tank (gravity-fed)?
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a combi boiler for hot water and heating but have 2 showers in the house. Obviously low water pressure if both showers are used at same time. I'm wondering if I could install a water tank to gravity feed one of the showers, with new electrric shower and if so how to stop the water...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from the loft water reservoir tank (which also feeds the cold water taps in the bathroom & the WC cistern). There is an expansion vessel attached to this...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock