Search the forum,

Discuss Gravity Fed DHW with Pumped CH or fully pumped? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jonathan Taylor

Hello,

I have a Thorn EMI boiler from the 80s and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if i have a gravity DHW and pumped CH, or fully pumped system? There is a valve on the system but i cant remember if its a 3 way or two way valve (i'm currently out of the country with work). Basically my question is, does having a valve (on a very basic system i.e. only one zone CH and DHW) mean that it is fully pumped? I'm looking to upgrade my programmer and installing a room stat, as the display on the current programmer isn't working.

The reasons why i'm questioning if a valve dictates if its fully pumped or not, is because at present we can only have the DHW or DHW + CH - and i just want to see if the older programmer was never upgraded (as when looking at the Potterton LP241 programmer, the wiring diagrams don't show any valve connections for a gravity system)

Its also worth mentioning theres no stat on the cylinder.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Take the lot out and fit a new modern system, the new boiler alone will pay for its self.

You almost certainly have a fully pumped system if you have a motorised valve and separate hot water facility, but no other zones.

You almost certainly have a fully pumped system if you have a motorised valve and separate hot water facility, but no other zones.

Not necessarily, it may be a 'c plan' with gravity hot water and running no cyl stat. The hot water channel on programmer just opens zone valve......if it is a zone valve?

Sorry just to reiterate the current programmer won't allow me to have CH only, its either DHW or DHW with CH. But what i don't understand is why this is the case if i have a zone valve? Has the previous owner never bothered to upgrade the outdated programmer?

There is a cylinder stat connected to a TRV type valve.

As for the upgrade - this would be nice, but just not affordable at the moment. We have two boilers, the Thorn EMI (Downstairs CH and DHW) and another boiler Vokera Mynute 20e for CH on the top two floors of the house. I guess we will replace both when they fail beyond repair.

Sorry just to reiterate the current programmer won't allow me to have CH only, its either DHW or DHW with CH. But what i don't understand is why this is the case if i have a zone valve?

If you have a zone valve after the hot cylinder connection, then when the valve is off you will have hot water only, but when it's on the boiler will heat both water & rads. That's just a simple system design. I could be wrong though

Sorry just to reiterate the current programmer won't allow me to have CH only, its either DHW or DHW with CH. But what i don't understand is why this is the case if i have a zone valve? Has the previous owner never bothered to upgrade the outdated programmer?

There is a cylinder stat connected to a TRV type valve.

As for the upgrade - this would be nice, but just not affordable at the moment. We have two boilers, the Thorn EMI (Downstairs CH and DHW) and another boiler Vokera Mynute 20e for CH on the top two floors of the house. I guess we will replace both when they fail beyond repair.

If you've got a motorised valve on it then sounds like it's fully pumped as gravity shouldn't have anything on the circuit to stop the flow otherwise your boiler starts making interesting noises!
A lot of programmers are produced to suit both gravity and fully pumped systems. There's usually a tag or cam or something inside the back of the timeswitch which can be set to release the CH side and allow you to have it on without DHW. Better still get yourself a modern new digital programmer if it's that old!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gravity Fed DHW with Pumped CH or fully pumped? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the AUTO (adaptive mode) setting on this the new pump or which mode it is best set at (recently had our old 3-speed pump replaced with the above smart...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently that when the CH has been turned off that a couple of the rads closest to the boiler were slightly warm. When the boiler had demand to heat the DHW I...
Replies
Views
We have a three zone heating system plus water cylinder (OSO Super S 250L) on an Valliant EcoTec 637. Two CH zones and a UFH zone. Boiler is rarely at maximum power rating, even at full tilt. The UFH zone has it's own pump and the other two zones (three storey house) are just pumped from the...
Replies
Views
We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are about to upgrade the upstairs bathroom and are considering installing a shower bath. My concern is that although there is more than sufficient...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock