Discuss Flue clamp screws in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mountainman

I usually only write up flue clamps with no additional securing screws as NCS, but I've been told by an engineer that he understands them to be AR.

Any thoughts gang?

Nope gas safe pulled an installation by a fitter who subsequently left me to fix all probs flue only got a ncs.

You mean the flues clipped but no screws in the elbows? That can be classed as ncs however it takes 30 seconds to correct

You mean the flues clipped but no screws in the elbows? That can be classed as ncs however it takes 30 seconds to correct

True, providing you have your power driver, self drilling screws and the flue isn't in the loft etc.
:)

Not even a flue clip. Engineer wouldn't go back and address water leak round flue, custard called GS.

hi jacking the thread the last vaillant i fitted clamp on,screws in i could still see daylight through the end of the clampremoved and added a bit of ht silicon

I would never put a screw on a flue joint I DID NOT PUT TOGETHER !!!

On multiple jointed flies I would agree but on the job which prompted my post the flue is a standard cut down 1m length connected to the boiler turret elbow.
But my question was; is the absence of screws, even if the flue is rigid and sound, NCS or AR?

Had a gas safe visit last week he said its AR
It's because of a women that died in Wales his words not mine
No screws in a flue - AR
All Flue joints must be acess able if not AR as well

So where is the TB or email from Gas Safe informing us.
What's the point in being registered if the registration body can't be bothered letting us know?

What about telescopic flues? The joint between the telescoping bits normally ends up in the brickwork.

Interesting one, but think this is reason why lots of installers don't point up just push rings on, when its not telescopic it's so u can see its not telescopic.

So where is the TB or email from Gas Safe informing us.
What's the point in being registered if the registration body can't be bothered letting us know?

He checked 3 off are jobs last week and one of them there was no screws in the flue
It was a standard short flue going though a wall cemented in on both ends with no screw in it and we got warning from him under no uncertain terms let that happen again then he started the lecture on a women who died because of it and said all boilers with no screws are at risk
To be honest the guy was a bit of a knob but suppose he was just doing his job

If the mi say nothing then you are altering a flue aren't you . Viessmann say you dont screw their flues just clamp beneath the joint

Gas safe dont seem to know there arse from there elbow. Ring up tomorrow they will say if its secure its ncs.

He checked 3 off are jobs last week and one of them there was no screws in the flue
It was a standard short flue going though a wall cemented in on both ends with no screw in it and we got warning from him under no uncertain terms let that happen again then he started the lecture on a women who died because of it and said all boilers with no screws are at risk
To be honest the guy was a bit of a knob but suppose he was just doing his job

Arnt they all? Did mfr supply screws or provide info in literature? Baxi main and ideal are naughty boys! Valliant supply screws but their flues are so thin and flimsy just use silver foil - not for joints.... Make flue system out of foil.
Multi fit for duo GA had screws and turret screws- duo one now has same turret with locators but ne screws.

Only manufactures that stipulate the flue joints must be screwed are classified as AR. A lot of the flues, the manufactures instructions do not state that screws must be used. Manufacture instruction is the correct way to install and if you have them then you don't go by the gas regs if they contradict. I had this issue a few weeks back, service engineer AR'd a Greenstar 24i JNR for not having screws in the flue clamps. Yet in the installation instructions it does not state that they are required. I rang technical and they conformed they are not required. Yet Vaillant say screws must be fitted. So go by the M.I.s and AR it if it's different, although I wouldn't necessarily AR a boiler fitted with screws if they weren't required.

A common sense answer, cheers Arran!

This is another subject that should be plainly explained by Gas Safe, but we engineers are as always left in limbo.
Not good enough imo.

Only manufactures that stipulate the flue joints must be screwed are classified as AR. A lot of the flues, the manufactures instructions do not state that screws must be used. Manufacture instruction is the correct way to install and if you have them then you don't go by the gas regs if they contradict. I had this issue a few weeks back, service engineer AR'd a Greenstar 24i JNR for not having screws in the flue clamps. Yet in the installation instructions it does not state that they are required. I rang technical and they conformed they are not required. Yet Vaillant say screws must be fitted. So go by the M.I.s and AR it if it's different, although I wouldn't necessarily AR a boiler fitted with screws if they weren't required.
what he said

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue clamp screws in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've got a Glowworm Flexicom 24hx boiler and I'm trying to unplug the installer cartridge in order to wire up the ebus connection inside. From...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
E
  • Question
We just had a service done on our Ideal ICOS boiler and were told that the 2 screws on the back of the heat exchanger have snapped off. It was...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock