Search the forum,

Discuss Flexible tubing for Solar heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jbolland

I'm installing a solar panel kit which was supplied with a 10m coil of flexible stainless steel corrugated tubing. It takes 3/4" fittings and has foam rubber insulation. I've installed it neatly from the two roof panels into the loft, but I can't get it to seal at the fittings at the pump and cylinder despite my best efforts and following assembly instructions.
I'm thinking I may have to rip it all out and replace it with 22mm copper tubing and JG Speedfit where I need a bit of flexibility.
I'd appreciate any advice or comment before I undertake this extra effort and expense.

I'm installing a solar panel kit which was supplied with a 10m coil of flexible stainless steel corrugated tubing. It takes 3/4" fittings and has foam rubber insulation. I've installed it neatly from the two roof panels into the loft, but I can't get it to seal at the fittings at the pump and cylinder despite my best efforts and following assembly instructions.
I'm thinking I may have to rip it all out and replace it with 22mm copper tubing and JG Speedfit where I need a bit of flexibility.
I'd appreciate any advice or comment before I undertake this extra effort and expense.

Get someone in to do it properly

I'm guessing its the stainless steel type pipework, you normally flatten the ends with a special tool or the mechanical fitting & seal with a fibre washer!

Solar panels operate at very high temperatures, speed fit pipework would not be suitable!!

Why? I've installed my wet underfloor heating, air source heat pump, woodburner with vented back boiler and rads as well as all the other house plumbing and electrics. Yes, all DIY but all safely and to the regulations (and there are plenty in France!). And it all works beautifully. I think I'm competent enough to get the solar heating installed eventually, just looking for advice from anyone used to working with corrugated tubing.
Also thanks to the first reply, I see that JG Speedfit has a temperature limitation lower than peak solar temperatures.

I do not doubt your compitence my friend, but if somebody off here advises you to use some speed fit pipe or fittings on a solar installation and something 'happens' it does not reflect the professionalism of the forum. Sorry .

Thank Gassafe, my response was directed to Gray0609, pleased to see your info though. I've tried as you have described, maybe I didn't tighten sufficiently. I'll give it another go tomorrow.

For you to even contemplate using plastic pipe on solar tells me your not competent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flexible tubing for Solar heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future, but likely the PV kind rather than the thermal kind, and won't be having heat pump in the future. So the cylinder would be connected to the boiler at...
Replies
Views
Hi, We have solar panels for our hot water, so we have the main water tank in the airing cupboard, plus a small pressurised (I think) tank. The smaller one has been leaking for several years leaving rusty water on the outside & on towels in the cupboard. The system also keeps losing pressure...
Replies
Views
Hi, Solar thermal not so big these days but a couple of Q for anyone who still works in it. Background. I'm an Electrician not a plumber.. I've been maintaining my otherwise excellent solar thermal (Original install MCS by Others), for the last ~ 18 years, over which time I've needed to clean...
Replies
Views
I removed an old shower hose, which was installed by previous home owner at least 12 years ago. Upon removal, the connection is like nothing I have ever seen and I am unable to find any replacement hose of similar connector type. btw: When I removed the hose , there was no loose rubber washer...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock