Discuss fed up with Ideal boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

blondie

Hi

I dont know if anyone can help, but, Im so fed up with problems from our boiler. We have an Ideal HE24 ICOS system, its just about 4 years old. It
hasnt been a problem till the last few weeks, but it now seems to be ongoing probs. It stopped working(it went on after reset button pressed, but eventually stopped working altogther) the plumber said it was a gasket. He replaced that after a few days waiting - it had been leaking water. It was also making a loud vibrating noise that came in bursts - it would make the noise about six times then stop, then it would happen again. AFter gasket replaced it had leaked more - a tube had come loose or not been replaced sufficiently when the boiler was checked - it needed a new electrode then circuit board, it had leaked into gas valve but they were able to get that out without replacing it. It has been OK for about a week/10 days, but the noise has returned. It started about 11pm last night, it even made the noise even when water/CH off during night, its doing it quite alot now. I got plumber out again but he didnt hear the noise when he was here, he said he would call Ideal for advice. Im concerned its something that will do more damage. He said there was no further leakage and everything seemed OK. Can anyone help and would it be better to switch off altogether?

Last edited by a moderator:
this does not help but bin it and get something more reliable,ideal? far from it!!!!

Hi
My plumber agrees, but the annoying thing for us is that this is a new build house only 4 yrs old, we didnt get to choose the heating system, and surely it shouldnt be completely knackered already! Can you think what this noise could be. Its a low reverberating noise. The boiler's in the loft but it woke me up though the night. As I said Im just concerned its doing more damage.

the problem with this boiler is, once you start fixing it - it seems non stop, it will last for a week or two then the next problem occurs. as above - bin it cut losses and start again.

Agree with above,you have hit the four year itch,the only problem is you may have spent alot on parts already,but if you keep boiler,will spend a lot more,if you do replace,try selling parts from your existing ideal boiler to try to get some of the money back,knowing this boiler there will be plenty of demand for the parts :(

[FONT=&quot]I don’t totally agree with comments made, to bin the boiler at this stage as it’s only 4 years old, it’s not the best boiler around admittedly but you have already spent a small fortune on it and it is now working. I don’t quite understand why the noise is heard when the boiler is turned off unless you have a frost stat cutting in overnight. I would have said the noise was a result of the rubber seal fitted to the flue connection (inside boiler at top)where the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Flue turret joins the flue casting, [/FONT][FONT=&quot] as I have come across it before on the Icos/Isar models but that was only when the boiler was running. Are you sure the noise is from the boiler? Hope this helps,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Martin.[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

These boilers MUST have the new ionisation probes fitted, If they haven't got them, the insulation will fall forward and direct the flame to the combustion box...don't half make a mess!! If anyone comes across one that has a melted / damaged combustion box...then ideal will replace the boiler. Just had one this last week. Agree with all ..awful boilers

[FONT=&quot]I don’t totally agree with comments made, to bin the boiler at this stage as it’s only 4 years old, it’s not the best boiler around admittedly but you have already spent a small fortune on it and it is now working. I don’t quite understand why the noise is heard when the boiler is turned off unless you have a frost stat cutting in overnight. I would have said the noise was a result of the rubber seal fitted to the flue connection (inside boiler at top)where the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Flue turret joins the flue casting, [/FONT][FONT=&quot]as I have come across it before on the Icos/Isar models but that was only when the boiler was running. Are you sure the noise is from the boiler? Hope this helps,[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Martin.[/FONT]

100 % agree, most probably the inner flue seal inside the turret, it slowly starts to rise on the older models until its enough to make a vibration which can get very loud as it amplifies through the boiler. On the newer models there's a weight that sits on top of it to hold it down. Have you ever had it serviced?

Last edited:
Hi
sorry just getting back to this forum, my boiler is in the loft space, i cant get up there easily(Bad back), but the noise is definately coming from the area where the boiler is, but it could easily be the flue. We've had it serviced and the plumber who did the repair said he has serviced again. It was making the noise when there was the leak and when that was eventually fixed it stopped. As I said before it started again a week/10days later. Its been doing it all weekend, every half hour/40mns or sooner sometimes, its a bit like a fog horn/pnuematic drill and it definately does it when the heating and HW are NOT on, Ive got them on timed and it does it through the night too. I havent heard back from the plumber today re call to IDeal. ANy help greatly appreciated

Hi
sorry just getting back to this forum, my boiler is in the loft space, i cant get up there easily(Bad back), but the noise is definately coming from the area where the boiler is, but it could easily be the flue. We've had it serviced and the plumber who did the repair said he has serviced again. It was making the noise when there was the leak and when that was eventually fixed it stopped. As I said before it started again a week/10days later. Its been doing it all weekend, every half hour/40mns or sooner sometimes, its a bit like a fog horn/pnuematic drill and it definately does it when the heating and HW are NOT on, Ive got them on timed and it does it through the night too. I havent heard back from the plumber today re call to IDeal. ANy help greatly appreciated

When its cold in the middle of the night the boiler will fire up via a frost stat to protect boiler and pipework from freezing. Noise sounds like a fan/flue problem which is easily fixed and cheap!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fed up with Ideal boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock