Search the forum,

Discuss Connecting a new tap to a soldered pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
O

otaxia

I am trying to fix a new mixer tap to my kitchen sink. I have removed the old screw but the pipes are still connected. The connections on the new taps flexible pipes are threaded, however there is no thread to connect them to on the old copper pipes, which appear to be soldered connections.

Can anybody advise on what I need to do to get the two connected? I am a novice when it comes to plumbing so any advice much appreciated.

Thanks, Rob

You'll probably need to go to a merchant with your new taps, Rob. It sounds like you need male iron to copper and possibly a couple of brass bushes.

Cut the pipes. then use two of these onto your copper. Your hoses should be 1/2, but may be 3/8
Conex Male Coupler 302 15mm x ½" DZR | Compression Coupling | NoLinkingToThis

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 82
Thanks for your responses. I can get hold of them connectors tomorrow. When you say 'use' two of them onto the copper, do you actually mean 'fuse'? As in solder the connection to the copper pipe?

Thanks for your responses. I can get hold of them connectors tomorrow. When you say 'use' two of them onto the copper, do you actually mean 'fuse'? As in solder the connection to the copper pipe?
Might just be better to get a local plumber! :coffee:

The time you waste running around, hoping that you get correct fittings, buy tools to do job, spend all day trying to fit them , & all night mopping up water, just call in a plumber, about 1hr should cover it, unless other problems are found.

And you might even find the Plumber to be a good bloke!

Not all of us are scary - although some of us stink.

And guess what - we are insured for the work we perform.
Not sure how your insurance company would react, when you have a huge repair bill for water damage cause by yourself due to your plumbing skills, not being harsh - just realistic

Last edited:
As above. Best get a plumber pal. I don't mess with my car, if there's a problem I bring it to my mechanic.

Hi rob, is the flexis that came with the tap threaded at both ends ? never came accross this as usually just 1 side threaded.

Sorry i shouldve phrased it different but chalked post has what you need

Thanks for all your advice guys. Rest assured I'm not scared of getting a plumber! Just wanted to have a stab at doing what I thought might be a simple job. I'll get a pro in to sort this one out as everything is too compact under the sink for me to do properly. Cheers.

15mm bof with a rad tail. Flat edge for the flexi and isolation.

Do you have a combi boiler, unvented hot water or standard vented hot water?

I have an immersion heater. Like i say I'm a novice with plumbing so can't give you more detail than that I'm afraid.

I can't see one, its covered by an insulation jacket. Would that affect the tap connections then?

It's ok. you've got a vented tank which means any taps you want to fit need to be suitable for low pressure hot water.

Ok thanks. Took the advice and got a plumber coming over tomorrow to complete the installation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Connecting a new tap to a soldered pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a 22mm hot and cold water supply to new bath. The pipes finish with compression valves. I need a 500 mm tap connector hose to connect with half inch thread on the new bath tap. All the connectors at the main plumb merchants are 22mm x 3/4 inch. No one seems able to answer question...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm trying to connect 3/4" copper to 22mm copper in an old house. However it appears that the 3/4" is actually slightly smaller (measured at 21.1mm) than it normally is. This means I've been unable to use the special 3/4 to 22mm compression fittings as the olive is just too loose...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of copper pipe between compression fittings on the hot water feed. There are take offs for an outside hot and cold tap together with isolation valves and...
Replies
Views
Good afternoon, Just looking for some general advise, I'm renovating my kitchen and need to disconnect my kitchen sink pipes while I re-plaster the room and wait for my new sink to arrive. So I need to temporary cap off the two below connections cant seem to find what is the best way to do this.
Replies
Views
Hi I am trying to replace my bathroom tap with a new one, I am trying to remove the existing rusty flexible tap connectors from this bit of 22mm copper pipe. But this thing is not budging at all its like its welded or super glued on, I am using some water pliers on both points here but its not...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock