Search the forum,

Discuss Central Heating Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

stanlyp

Good Evening,

Purchased a 1960's 4 bed semi in December 2011. Main family bathroom & on-suite upstairs both having showers installed. Downstairs has a W/C. The house is being fully refurbished and it has now come down to deciding on a new central heating system. Back in early January 2012 I had three different plumbers come round to offer advice on a new system.

Having just had a new kitchen installed the cold water pressure was extremely poor. After numerous visits from the local water company a new communication pipe was installed in the road and I've just had a new 25mm blue pipe (Replaced the old iron feed) installed into the kitchen in the property. We now have excellent cold water pressure into the property.

I'm undecided on what system to have installed:

1) Install a large Combi that will supply good hot water flow rates (Worcester Bosch CDi has been recommended)
2) Look at having a high pressure system installed - Megaflow

Any help/advice would be greatly received. I'd also be interested to understand if its possible to have the boiler installed in the kitchen and the Megaflow cylinder installed in the loft? Is it recommended to install boilers in the loft area? We have a utility room but this is washing machine/dishwater installed so no space for boiler/Megaflow cylinder.

The last point is around underfloor heating and if a High-pressure system can support hot water underfloor heating? We have concrete floors downstairs and one of the plumbers recommended a polypipe solution using overlay lite panels with 4 zones - lounge, dinner, kitchen & entrance hall. Has anyone installed this system and is it worth the extra expense? Are the manifolds usually hidden away under the stairs or behind kitchen units?

Thanks in advance

Kind Regards

Paul

Unvented cylinder all the way.

Imo the best option is to get fairly big me combi and use the combi 'hot water' for the kitchen and 'zone in' an unvented cylinder to the combi heating circuit to supply the bathrooms/showers.

Best of both worlds.

Hi stanlyp :welcome: to the forum :)

I'd imagine you'll get as many ideas as there are plumbers to be honest :) Personally I wouldn't fit anything in the loft unless it's well insulated, boarded out and easily accessible for maintenance. Also need good supports coz there's a lot of weight in a cylinder full of water! Fitting something in a loft space is about the same as fitting it outside, by-the-way :)

I can't help you much with the other stuff as thankfully my installation days are just about over! I'd imagine though a visit would be the only way to determine best advice regards UFH manifolds although they too would require access for maintenance :) Good luck!

unvented cylinder in A/C boiler in kitchen, fitting in the loft as mentioned would create some problems but can be done. I think you need to decide on a budget and then go for what fits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I have changed the 3 port actuator Honeywell head however this doesn’t seem to have solved the issue, does this mean that the programmer is faulty? Or is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock