Search the forum,

Discuss category 3 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

andyg0507

hi people just wanted some advice gegarding routes onto acs for a cat3 student.

im currently at college doing level1 plumbing( at my college you couldunt go onto the level2 without emplyment)

and am working with a one man band rgi who is willing to sign my portfolio for me, but ive hit a brick wall trying to find out whats needed to get things moving, or what course i need to be looking at.

obviously next year i will be doing my nvq2 so would then be classed as a cat2( i think).

answers on a postcard

cheers

andy

My advice is stay with your gsi chap till you get your level 2 then do your acs and go your own way if you up to it

that is one option quality, i was just thinking along the lines of why im working with this bloke who is very very busy on the gas side of things, it would be a good idea to get something out of it.

could you still get a portfolio together whilst working, so youve got it, really not sure how it works, and the tutor who ive asked at college was about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

Evidence everything, photos, write ups, his signiture. absolutely everything. it will all come in use.

For C/H you need 28weeks evidence i think, fires about 18, cookers and water heaters about 10...There abouts anyhow.

All is helpful.

Honest opinion this, if you have a placement at college and work for or with a rgi, you have got about 1 ton of hens teeth in your nest

it does take time but you are a position many would kill to be in

take the ride and gain the experience what this guy can give you, believe me its worth more than the ton of hens teeth

so i could get a portfolio from somewhere fill all eveidence in and get him to sign it off then come next year when ive done my nvq2 i can still use it?

yeah i think your right quality, but could i still gain eveidence in a portfolio and use this when i get round to doing my gas???

Last edited by a moderator:
Simple:

Take photos of every job you do, with you in them.
Note down what you have done.
Note down the customers name and address.
Date, Gas Safe number, Company details etc.
Get your boss to sign.

Once you've collected this information, put it in your work based evidence folder at college or make your own by downloading from City & Guilds and then submit when your ready

I think you'll find that you don't start getting into gas work until NVQ3. It's normally at this stage all the portfolio requirements are discussed with you.

OK, I've just read the OP again.

If your going to do gas now and want to do gas, next year you need to enrol on to the gas course and not Plumbing Level 2, because as Rob says with this you only do gas with your plumbing on Level 3.

You don't know how long you've got with this guy on the gas side, so you need to speak to the main tutor at your college and discuss your options with him. I would strongly recommend that you do the gas course next year if your staying with this guy and he's happy to keep you.

NVQ2 is about bending copper, blowing joints, plumbing in a toilet etc.
Don't concern yourself with what category number you are yet!!!
Get yer bathrooms out the way, get onto level 3, do yer 'complex' water stuff and thats when you start scratching the surface on gas.
Bear in mind that you need work experience to show the assessors your NVQ 2 and 3 on the water side yeah? Don't even worry about gas yet.

NVQ2 is about bending copper, blowing joints, plumbing in a toilet etc.
Don't concern yourself with what category number you are yet!!!
Get yer bathrooms out the way, get onto level 3, do yer 'complex' water stuff and thats when you start scratching the surface on gas.
Bear in mind that you need work experience to show the assessors your NVQ 2 and 3 on the water side yeah? Don't even worry about gas yet.

as soon as the OP has completed his NVQ2 he is entitled to begin ACS training, along with the training you start to build up a portfolio of evidence, figures quoted by someone for the amount of weeks required are well above what is required if doing the bpec course, we run a 26 week full time course, which is NVQ2 (6 weeks full time), then 8 weeks full time ACS training, 10weeks out on gas placement then back to college for 1 week extra gas training and finally 1 week ACS exams

thanks for all the replies lads, spoke to the tutor and he put me intouch with a college not to far from the one im at, they do a gas foundation course wich takes 9months to complete as well as working with my rgi, this is a one day a week course so will be going to college on another day to get my nvq2, and the rest of the week working.

thanks for the input lads, much appreciated.

NVQ2 reduces the amount of evidence required to do your ACS, i think that was the initial question cat3 to cat2 by gaining nvq2 in plumb? I think i am right

no fuzzy, what i was asking was if there was anyway of doing any courses so i would be able to sit my acs before doing my nvq2, obviously the less i have to get would be benificial but it's going to be nearly another year before i get to do my nvq2. whilst ive got work with a gsri would like to try and benifit from it in some way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to category 3 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock