Search the forum,

Discuss Cast Iron Bath, Sell or Scrap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all,

Just ripped out a very heavy cast iron bath today from a property I'm doing a bathroom installation on. I heard a rumour that they are worth quite a bit as scrap, is this correct? I'm guessing it weighs in the region of 100kg, definitely heavier than me that's for sure. Was quite an effort removing it from the house!

Particularly interested in hearing from anyone whose sold one recently.

never have sold one look on ebay as a guide if no interest scrap it

If you fill it with beans or custard at the next local fair you can do quite well
:):)

get it down the scrappy,help pay for the hernia op :p:)

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
if in good nick, flog it, they fetch a good price, if no good offers, then scrap merchants,

if its in good nick try a reclaimation yard they will proberbly offer you a fair price [unless you want to buy one from them:rolleyes:]good luck:)regards turnpin

sounds like a ÂŁ100 effort in taking it out in one piece to me.

next time wait on the street for the pikies to drive by. they will do it for you.lol.

Depends on the feet. If it was mounted on bolts you would have been better taking it out in a bucket.

Hmm, it's mounted on bolts so I suspect I've just caused myself a lot of backache for nothing :(

yeah - smash that thing!!!

1) get paid at the scrap merchant

2) have bloody good time in the process

After all we plumbers dont always get lots of chances to smash things to bits!

I was told it takes only four hits and you can break a bath into quarters (one hit at the halfway point on each edge). I don't believe this trick but whether it's true or not, I'd have much more fun with a sledgehammer!!

Last one I smashed broke realy easy. Smashed in half length ways then the 2 smaller bits, not too much shrapnel! One prior to that took ages and broke into loads of small bits. Think I got around ÂŁ30 when weighed in?, but took other bits at the same time so can't remember the split. Watch out though, I heard about a lad who smashed one while it was in situ against the wall......wall was in poor condition....and you guessed it, he managed to dislodge some bricks and ended up having to make good a hole in the wall! Watch out for flying shrapnel on you and window etc. Not tried ebay as moving one whole on your on seemed likely to damage me and the property!

I have only taken 3 out and always in pieces. The first time I used a sledge hammer. (Damaged a hollow pot dividing wall and lost an hour repairing it).
The last two I used a heavy lump hammer. Each time I hit the corners fist and took out in half a dozen pieces plus a few small bits round the taps. Each of the last two times I supported the base of the bath at the tap end and left the taps on. This meant I had a handy water supply for mixing etc. I also put an old curtain over the bath to reduce flying shrapnel, as well as wearing goggles. Gloves would be sensible as edges can be razor sharp.

I was told it takes only four hits and you can break a bath into quarters (one hit at the halfway point on each edge). I don't believe this trick but whether it's true or not, I'd have much more fun with a sledgehammer!!

4 hits isnt enough but to be honest it doesnt take too many, start right in the centre point then whack it in the middle of the 2 long sides on the top edges then a few hits to join the cracks together, then 4hrs for the ringing to stop in your ears, and 3-4 days for the wee cuts on your face to heal where the enamel pierced you

A good reminder elsewhere on this forum was not to hit the bath horizontally on the side. Particularly if using a sledge hammer. It is likely to rebound and damage your kneecap.

Well, after all the hassle of removing it from the house myself (in one piece) I gave it to some tramp who came round offering to take it. ÂŁ30 isn't worth the hernia, damage to the van or petrol (or time) to take it up the scrappy! How much can you get for the antique ones just out of interest, you know, the roll topped ones.

Kirkgas, that sounds like the voice of experience if ever I heard it! Real men take the bath out whole though, real stupid men!

Last edited:
My old man always reminds me how real men did it, like a turtle with it on your back, up the stairs!

Real nice antique roll tops can fetch anything from ÂŁ100 +.

My old man always reminds me how real men did it, like a turtle with it on your back, up the stairs!

Real nice antique roll tops can fetch anything from ÂŁ100 +.

have taken many up and down stairs like this, it is surprising how easy it is, (up is easier than down) even as a scrawny teenage apprentice it was dead easy, me inside it and the tradesman holding the bottom end up off the stairs,

Sorry mate, but you lads were made of sterner stuff back then. Luckily you don't get many people request cast iron baths these days, though the resin ones are very popular, and not only are they bloody heavy, but they're seriously fragile too.

Last one we moved took three of us to get up the stairs, swearing all the way. Then the client sat in it and said, 'oh this is far too deep, I'll never get out of it'

So down it went again! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cast Iron Bath, Sell or Scrap? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock