Discuss cast iron again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pauls

dont know how i keep getting them:(:D

i take it i can strap boss into cast iron stack and cutting into it is with a normal hole saw and carefuly does it

Yes with a decent holesaw and some patience you will be able to drill ithe stack getting a decent seal is another thing tho.... scraping the paint off and a light smear of clear silicon usually does the job .

further to the cast iron stack there is a branch on it with a cap on it, i want to run a soil pipe into it any tips on getting the caps off

My preferred means of making a hole in a cast iron stack is with a Rotabroach fitted with a magnetic clamp.

What sort of cap?

Hemp and paste is far better for sealing onto cast iron than silicone.

further to the cast iron stack there is a branch on it with a cap on it, i want to run a soil pipe into it any tips on getting the caps off
if its caulked lead youll need a good sized blowlamp to melt the lead out takes a while just keep heating and digging the lead out with a screw driver til its all out and the yarn will start to burn then tap it of
youll go home smelling like a bombfire mmm i can smell it now
it may have been cemented on if it was capped later in which case its a hammer small chisel,drill or whatever to break it out
unusualy to be caped as branches were normally socket ended in which case its a plug

My preferred means of making a hole in a cast iron stack is with a Rotabroach fitted with a magnetic clamp.

What sort of cap?

Hemp and paste is far better for sealing onto cast iron than silicone.

not sure i just looked up and noticed a cap over the branch and thought thats where i should be able to to run the soil into

ideal opportunity to quote for a new stack, first thing we do if theres a cast stack is advise a new stack extra work and all that.
unless its an old building they want to keep it

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to cast iron again in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Creative
The waste pipe that's been concreted into the building wall, and runs out into a cast iron soil stack has a crack in it. It is a part of the soil...
Replies
Views
L
Hi All. Apologies if this has been asked previously. I have searched for days but cannot find the exact answer. I am installing a new shower room...
Replies
Views
lame plumber
L
L
Hello, After a bit of advice, I need to connect a 40mm shower waste into an existing 3 inch cast iron soil stack serving 3 flats in a large...
Replies
Views
F
Hi all, I recently noticed that the top of my cast iron soil pipe had become corroded and looked like it could fall off so I cut it down and...
Replies
Views
Farshster
F
P
Hi I have a 3 storey 1900s house with a cast iron soil/vent stack currently fed by 2 wcs. The wcs enter the soil stack and on each wc there is...
Replies
Views
peasoupblu
P
Back