Discuss boiler keeps losing water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

julesm

hi. my boiler keeps losing water pressure. i keep having to top up the water pressure each day. It is taking approx 24 hours for the water pressure to fall from 1.5 to 0 on the water pressure meter.

Also, ive noticed that water is bubbling up in shower and water is coming up from the outside drains. So i guess they need unblocking. Would this be anything to do with the water pressure problem??

Anyone know what the problem is??

Thanks in advance.

They are two seperate problems, It sounds like you need your drains assessed and probably rodding/jetting! And the problem with the boiler is either a leak (which is the most obvious), it could be your expansion vessel needing recharging or even replacing, some where you are losing water. what boiler is it?

They are two seperate problems, It sounds like you need your drains assessed and probably rodding/jetting! And the problem with the boiler is either a leak (which is the most obvious), it could be your expansion vessel needing recharging or even replacing, some where you are losing water. what boiler is it?

its a worcester, combination.

are you getting any water coming out from the prv valve ? to find this look for a piece of 15mm pipe that comes out of the back of your boiler and goes through the wall to outside.. it is not connected to anything ... check for water coming out !!.. if it is then possibly valve knackered or expansion need charging or exansion diaphragm split..

update - ive had a plumber round. There is no leaks coming from the boiler or prp valve or any of the rads or visable pipes, yet still losing water pressure each day. The plumber says that the leak must be coming from one of the pipes out of sight, ie below floorboards etc and the only way to find out exactly where is to rip up floorboards etc. There is no sight of damp or build up of water anywhere as yet.

He said one remedy was to put some leak sealer into the system, which may plug the leak. but i have heard bad report about these, that they clog up the system. Anybody here used them? are the ok to use??

Any suggestions on best action??

Last edited by a moderator:
Leak sealer will not fix a leak that big.If there are no obvious signs of water then i would drain the system and test it with compressed air

If it losing that amount of pressure so quickly could it not be the outside tap into the property that may be damaged?

Leak sealer will not fix a leak that big.If there are no obvious signs of water then i would drain the system and test it with compressed air

can you explain how i would find out where the leak is by draining the system and testing with compressed air??

out of interest.....if i am having to top up the water (from 0 to 1.5 on water pressure meter) does anyone know how much water in litres this is approx??

impossible to say julesm the volume of water depends on many variables such as the size of and type of radiators, the number of radiatersa and the length of and diameter of the pipes within your heating system.

it will however be a fair amount!! and if it is a leak it needs urgent atrtention.

as already suggested get a plumber to drain system fully and perform a pressure test. to rule out a leak as a possibility.

KJ

Have you or the plumber checked the rad valves, check for red markings or dryed red marks on any of your rad valves as you could have a small leak on one or more of them?

Have you or the plumber checked the rad valves, check for red markings or dryed red marks on any of your rad valves as you could have a small leak on one or more of them?

wouldnt i be able to see/feel water if this was the case?

No it might be a small leak that would dry up before you know it and would leave a small red stain on the valve or floor, i had the same problem in my house a while back, was looseing pressure, not as much and as quickly as you but found that a couple of rad valves had a small leak on them wich i fond by noticing a red stain on them, i changed the valves and havent had any toruble since :)

I should add that the reason for the red stain is Central heating systems are vulnerable to the affects of corrosion, the water wouldnt be clear is what im trying to say lol :) hope this helps

can you explain how i would find out where the leak is by draining the system and testing with compressed air??

If you have a water leak as big as you have it could be quietly soaking into your foundations anywhere under your floor.Compressed air (around 1-2 bar)would be very loud and easier to trace.

and also, carrying on from bosswites post, if you closed the isolation valves on the boiler and then pressure tested the system this could tell you whether the problem is the boiler or the system

thanks all. i will get a plumber around to do this air pressure test.

on a slightly different topic, if the boiler runs dry and the boiler kicks in will this cause any damage to the system/boiler. its happened a few times and the boiler make a loud banging sound until i fill it up again

julesm;143782]thanks all. i will get a plumber around to do this air pressure test.

on a slightly different topic, if the boiler runs dry and the boiler kicks in will this cause any damage to the system/boiler. its happened a few times and the boiler make a loud banging sound until i fill it up again
The boiler should have a safety interlock that prevents it firing up when the C/H system pressure is low. Has this been tampered with? If so you'll end up knackering the boiler

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler keeps losing water pressure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock