Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss best hot water cylinder copper or stainless steel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

den123

hi guys iam after a new cylinder whats the best to get copper or stainless steal also whats the going rat to replace cylinder labour thanks anyone in devon

At the moment, I would go for copper. The big advantage of stainless was that when copper was very expensive, steel was cheaper.

As for a "going rate to change a cylinder" - there are far too many variables to get a quote over the internet.

But I would recommend getting a price for labour AND materials.

Lets say you buy the cylinder, hire a plumber to fit it, and it leaks from a joint. He claims that the thread is malformed, the cylinder manufacturer says he crossed the threads. Who sorts it?

Let the plumber buy it, put a reasonable markup on his trade price, and get a decent job done. We have a few Devon based members - put a post in the section "I am looking for a plumber" along with a more detailed description and maybe a pic or two.

I prefer stainless. As for price, how big is the cylinder, is it direct or indirect, if indirect is the boiler side open vented or sealed, is the system fully pumped, how old is the current cylinder, does it have an immersion, does the cold feed have a drain off? You need somebody to come and have a look.

As Ray said above, you want supply and fit, not labour only. A cylinder change is definitely one of the jobs I wouldnt let the customer supply. Unless it was on site and ready to be seen. But then my labour would be charged at a premium to cover the loss of profit on materials.

Quite honestly I wouldn't worry too much. Stainless is generally cheaper. Both stainless and copper cylinders are very robust; much more robust than they need to be, sat motionless in your airing cupboard.

Copper cylinder 2 year warranty, stainless 10 year. Copper cylinder you have to make all the unions, stainless comes with 22mm compressions fitted. Add to that the aggressive water down here that eats copper cylinders and stainless steel is a no brainer.

what do you guys think of the plumbcenter own brand ones, half the price of a megaflow but are they any good

what do you guys think of the plumbcenter own brand ones, half the price of a megaflow but are they any good

They are made by same company as MegaFlow I was told by Plumbcenter. The Telford units are cheaper again.

Yep, plumb center ones made by heatrae. Not a bad unit. I like the RM Stelflow ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to best hot water cylinder copper or stainless steel in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am in process of replacing an existing sink with a new stainless steel one. The existing tap is plumbed directly to copper which means that it...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock