Search the forum,

Discuss Backflow prevention in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber0808

What would be a suitable means of preventing backflow for a wash station Belfast sink, hot & cold to tap that has a long arm off it leading upto a spray head that can potentially be submerged in the sink.

Sink is at a meat processing factory.

many thanks guys
Colin

two double check valves and air gap , I think this is the heights risk one

did read some where also a water break tank ,but not sure

Last edited:
if it was a domestic property then it would depend on the water cat in the basin. In a commercial situation its probably going to be a different set of rules tbh and may need an air break or an expensive valve but im not sure.

edit: read mikes post. :)

It's not a basin, it's a sink. Sink is always Cat 5 regardless. Basin in domestic is 3, in care home, hospital etc. it's 5.

Yes was just looking at defra website regarding category 5 break tanks and air gaps.

if the spray head can not be submerged then do I still have to use the same set up or will an acceptable air gap and double check valves be sufficient?

If the spray hose cannot be submerged then air gap will deal with backflow from sink and single check valves will be sufficient as we are looking at Cat 1 for the cold and Cat 2 for the hot.

Issues could arise if they are using the equipment to wash buckets etc. out that could submerge the spray head. If you know that the spray is used for this sort of thing then you are back to using a break tank.

Have a look at Plumbing Supplies | BES Gas & Plumbing Fittings and search for Commercial ‘Pre-Rinse’ Spray System to see a suitable spray system.

Thanks mike. Running over it in my head, just confusing myself in the end.

Just want to make sure I've got no comebacks. Cover myself before anything.

Thanks mike. Running over it in my head, just confusing myself in the end.

Just want to make sure I've got no comebacks. Cover myself before anything.

could you not ring local building inspector and tell him what you are planing to do and ask for help ?

Building inspector won't have a scooby. The water inspector from the local water undertaking is the person that you need to speak to for this sort of thing.

same thing applies with showers that can reach toilet pan. you must create an air gap. a shower screen as a barrier or a fixing on the hose/riser bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Backflow prevention in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys first post. I am in the process of rejuvenating a double wash sink. It was needing the waste below looked at for a washing machine and dryer, as it had a sunken elbow and unbeknownst it was a mix of 1 1/4 and 1 1/2, including the sink wastes themselves. I bought new matching 1 1/2...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Finally I have figured out what the two stop cocks in the kitchen do as they both had to be replaced due to leaks. The one under the sink stops the cold water from coming into the kitchen tap and the one which is in the wall panel is connected to the incoming mains water and needs...
Replies
Views
Hi we've just had a bathroom fitted with a mixer tap to the sink and mixer tap with a bath handheld shower fitting to the bath and there is almost no pressure at all. Previously we had single taps and the pressure was fine and is good downstairs. It is all gravity fed. We have a shower pump...
Replies
Views
Hey guys, I have a one-exit water valve under the sink leading to the cold tap above. I'd like to replace it with a multi-exit valve so that I can connect the dishwasher to the main water-line. Fine, I thought. I've got myself a multi-exit valve and just need to remove the old one. This is where...
Replies
Views
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and need some advice about some concerns about a new gas boiler that I have had fitted by a gas safe engineer. My old boiler was a heat only (with a copper tank) and has been replaced by a modern combi boiler. It just used two 22mm pipes to feed to the diverter...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock