Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone got a good technique for draining rad with frozen tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaterTight

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
And not getting water on freezing clamps/heads?

Sometimes if tails are short and/or tight against wall it's difficult to get a rag in between or tray under union.

Crack open nut joining valves to radiator tails. Switch on wetvac and suck up water as it comes out.

Obviously only works if you have a wetvac. Brill bits of kit.

if theres movement then crack off the rad nut on one side then quick fix on a hose set up that you have made up that will screw on to the rad nut then just open up the bleed key and let the air in sorted!!
what you tring to do remove the rad from the brackets?

I always shut off the valves first, drain the rad and then freeze. If one isn't closing just shut the other end and drain from that end.

I concur with the wet vac idea though.

Need me a wetvac!

Thanks chaps.

I always shut off the valves first, drain the rad and then freeze. If one isn't closing just shut the other end and drain from that end.

Then what do you do, whip the rad of and cap off the non-shutting valve before freezing?

What would you do if the rad valve leaks from the top and it isn't one with a gland that can be repacked? You then have movement of water and it may not freeze. I've had that once and a blob of LSX did the job and once where it didn't.

Also yet to find a blocked sink/shower/basin waste he can't unblock. Loves the jobs you hate.

george is even better as he will clean the carpet if u cock up 825714-7T.jpg

how big a rad could ol' charles there drain in one go?

I think it holds 15 Litres if I remember rightly. Never found a rad it couldn't drain in one go yet tbh.

ive often wondered if it would be worth putting a tank con and valve on the wet vac bin then conecting your hose to drain it

Thought same but suction in the problem. We have a spare wet vac if you have suggestions and will try !

it should work i guess. i like that idea steve

How would it work? Isn't the bucket under a negative pressure that's why it's sucks water up the flex? Wouldn't a hose connected do exactly the same? Or when Hoover empty just be a bypass?? Thought about nrv but wouldn't be sufficient head to empty bucket?

If it was swiched off first, then dump valve opened lol, would save a few walks, and opening the hoover up etc

it should work i guess. i like that idea steve

The outlet would have to go after the motor, which means that the water would be sucked through the motor which would kill it. If you put a hole in below the pump then nothing would be sucked through :(

Now a connection with a valve to empty it when it's turned off and full, that would work a treat. A definite labour saver.

Wetvac paid for itself again today, cleaning out an inaccessible trap. Why people make traps hard to access is beyond me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone got a good technique for draining rad with frozen tails in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon Guy's & Girl's, So I have a Baxi 630i that is showing a e133 fault. Upon hours of extensive research it is an ignition fault that can be caused by numerous of issues. One being that the condensate pipe is frozen, given the current weather and climate I edged my bets on this...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I would really appreciate your eyes on these pictures - What do you see ? Does anything look strange about the Rockwool insulation to you? I suspect that my long ongoing rotting veg/sewage smell is caused by a fault in this connection that has been hidden from previous inspections...
Replies
Views
J
I have an Arteform shower valve in my bathroom - top lever for the main shower head, middle for the handheld hose and bottom is the thermostatic control. The hot was not getting hot enough recently so (under instructions from the manufacturer) I removed the allen key valves bottom left and right...
Replies
Views
Hello I want to replace the old single panel rad in the bedroom with a K2 double panel Stelrad one. I think I'm OK in general and relatively sensible (!) but I just want to check the steps involved to make sure I'm not missing anything before starting. System info- Steps (I think)- 1. Turn...
Replies
Views
P
Hi, in order to replace the solenoid on my shower I need to take it off the wall (bad shower design). I've got all the electrics disconnected, it's detached from the wall itself and I've unscrewed where the water pipe from the wall connects to the shower inlet (I'm sorry I don't know the right...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock