Search the forum,

Discuss Can't get shower inlet loose from pipe in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

P

pipefittingproblems

Hi, in order to replace the solenoid on my shower I need to take it off the wall (bad shower design).

I've got all the electrics disconnected, it's detached from the wall itself and I've unscrewed where the water pipe from the wall connects to the shower inlet (I'm sorry I don't know the right terminology for any of this), but I can't get the inlet out of the pipe.
It should just lift off, I've seen videos of this exact shower being removed and put back, but it's really solidly connected, and anything I do moves the pipe where it comes out the wall and nothing else budges.

There appears to be some sort of sealant or tape between the inlet and the pipe, and confusingly when I cut some of that with a penknife I see copper behind which makes no sense when everything on the shower side should be plastic. It would not be the first thing in this house where someone's done something stupid to make something fit.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how to proceed?

The relevant bit of pipe is an elbow, but the other end is right up against the hole in the wall so I'm reluctant to disconnect that and risk not being able to put it back. I'd rather not have to get a professional to come out but I'm not experienced enough to deal with anything going wrong. Especially since the only way to shut the water off for the shower is at the stopcock.

It sounds like a compression elbow which is connected to the spigot of the electric shower. You should be able to unscrew the nut closest to the shower and then slide the shower sideways away from the elbow. They may have used some PTFE tape but that shouldn't stop you removing it. Have you got all the screws holding it to the wall loose? Have they siliconed it to the wall?

In my opinion I wouldn't be changing the solenoid on an electric shower. Either replace the engine or the shower and get a new warranty, its just not worth it.

What shower is it?

Undo the shower and wiggle it left to right while you apply slight upwards pressure

Thank you for the responses

It sounds like a compression elbow which is connected to the spigot of the electric shower. You should be able to unscrew the nut closest to the shower and then slide the shower sideways away from the elbow. They may have used some PTFE tape but that shouldn't stop you removing it. Have you got all the screws holding it to the wall loose? Have they siliconed it to the wall?

In my opinion I wouldn't be changing the solenoid on an electric shower. Either replace the engine or the shower and get a new warranty, its just not worth it.

What shower is it?

That sounds like it. The elbow is pointing up, rather than sideways, but I really can't budge it at all. I had the shower completely loose from the wall so the pipe was the only thing keeping it in place (plus me supporting it).

I'm glad that the tape might make sense and that it shouldn't be an issue.

The shower is a Triton T80xr, and I already have the solenoid which cost £8 or so compared to the price of a new shower, so I thought it was worth a go. The only thing preventing me getting it done is this issue which would come up with replacing the shower anyway.

Undo the shower and wiggle it left to right while you apply slight upwards pressure

I'll give it another go tomorrow and try to find a better way to hold the pipe still while trying to wiggle it off, when I tried before it was just moving the pipe instead and I didn't want to keep trying when I was worried it'd been stuck in place with something.

Reply to Can't get shower inlet loose from pipe in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
hello all, happy new year! i hope i have posted this in the right section i have a shower bar mixer. the shower runs luke warm. a quick google search showed some ideas on how to adjust it. i tried adjusting it and it didn't change the temp. when i adjusted it the other way to test the cold...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is very slightly out of shape. It leaked but I added some PFTE tape over the olive and it seems to of done the job. However… I’m tiling the wall and...
Replies
Views
A
I have a mixer shower with standard 15cm inlet pipe spacing designed to accept vertical (downward) inlet pipes. The plumbing from my wall has two inlet pipes at the right (15cm) spacing, but they emerge straight out from the wall horizontally instead of descending vertically. Can anyone...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm installing a walk in shower, opening into shower will be on right, mixer value on right, but shower head and drain on left. The pipe work from the shower mixer valve is exposed silver colour pipework. the pipe work will run up from the valve then take a hard left at the ceiling...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock