Search the forum,

Discuss Air or not in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Riley

Super Moderator
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Just done a boiler swap and this is killing me. Sealed system was a greenstar ri have put in Glowworm R so no diffference. New pump. Can get all rads hot individually but not all together so no blockage. Out of ideas here any thoughts. Boiler cycling on n off but heat going nowhere else

Piped correctly?

Gone over it and over it. Right pipe on Worcester was return nothing else to get wrong really

Drain off on boiler ?

if so shut the pump and drain a bit out of it

No drain off but AAV above. I’m 99.9% sure pump is right way round as I goes down and under and into centre of three port

A few more thoughts.....maybe stick a pressure gauge in one rad's blank vent to ensure static head is same as filling pressure of 1.5 bar or whatever, allowing for difference in pressure gauge elevations. If OK increase the filling pressure to 2.5 bar temporarily which might collapse/shift any entrained air.
It does point to a head/circulation problem for whatever reason as one rad at the time only circulating, suggest re installing the UPS3 and beg/borrow a energy monitor, put the pump to full speed 3 and measure the power.
27W = 0 circulation, 36W = 0.3 m3/hr, 5 LPM (one rad maybe circulation). 43W = 0.6m3/hr, 10 LPM (minimum, "normal" expected) and 60W = or > 1.1 m3/hr, 18.33 LPM.

That sucks, well done finding it.
I did a boiler the other week and didn't realise until commissioning that all 5 rads in extension had massive highspots (when I saw the pipes behind the rads I assumed it ran down the wall, not up from the floor and back down to tails!), combined with vented system it was a massive PITA!

It can happen not infrequently in systems that have pumped zones which have a (poppet type) NRV on the pump(s) discharge to stop gravity circulation.

Reply to Air or not in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Folks, I have a challenge with a Main Eco Elite 30 Combi which is short cycling on the CH. Water works fine. As soon as you have call for heat, the boiler fires up, modulates, but jumps very quickly (about 30 seconds or so from 40'ish all the way to 70, burner disengages putting it the...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up blowing/melting a hole in one of the pipes. I repaired this by putting in a new stretch of pipe in and just connecting it to the existing pipes with two...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or garden, run-of-the-mill British housing estate CH setup. Downstairs radiator, 1 of 2 in our living room, went cold one evening mid-November last...
Replies
Views
B
Context for issue: I'd like to start by saying I'd rather not read 100 "Hire a professional comments", I will do that when/if it comes to it, but I'd like to do it myself if possible. All images for system here: https://*********/a/ngPQkre Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler...
Replies
Views
Butchy10
B
Hi, I have a sealed system with 18 Rads/towel rads which is run by a greenstar boiler with a sealed hot water tank. I'm using a tado thermostat and the Pump is a 15/50 Groundfos. The issue is there are two radiators that are cold. So I closed down every radiator except for these two, apart...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock