Search the forum,

Discuss Advice starting new career in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is course iv been looking at, includes 10 week doing course the 8 week on placement to gain NVQ.

Level 2 qualifications attainable are:

• City & Guilds (6089) NVQ Level 2: Plumbing
• City & Guilds (6129) Plumbing Technical Certificate
• Key plumbing Principles
• Cold water Systems
• Central heating systems
• Above ground discharge systems
• Effective working relations
• System maintenance and de-commissioning
• Health & Safety
• Bathroom planning & system design
• Hot water systems
• Sheet lead work
• Environmental awareness
• Common plumbing processes
• IOSH Working safely

Level 3 qualifications attainable:

• BPEC (Level 3) Solar domestic Hot Water Heating Systems*
****o Introduction*
****o Solar collectors*
****o Hot water storage and key installation issues*
****o Preparing to install a solar heating system*
****o Plumbing layout and a design of solar*
****o Fitting solar collectors water heating systems*
****o Control & power requirements*
****o System commissioning and handover to client
• BPEC (Level 3) Energy efficiency – Part L of the building regulations (2005)
• BPEC (Level 3) Unvented hot water
• BPEC (Level 3) Water regulations

Why not look at areas within the trade that require less training and understanding. An E.G. being. Zinc roofing, which seems to have rocketed over the last few years leaving a vacuum of skilled people . Plenty of training available and at good rates. Within a year your up and running and earning a nice few quid.

This is course iv been looking at, includes 10 week doing course the 8 week on placement to gain NVQ.

Level 2 qualifications attainable are:

• City & Guilds (6089) NVQ Level 2: Plumbing
• City & Guilds (6129) Plumbing Technical Certificate
• Key plumbing Principles
• Cold water Systems
• Central heating systems
• Above ground discharge systems
• Effective working relations
• System maintenance and de-commissioning
• Health & Safety
• Bathroom planning & system design
• Hot water systems
• Sheet lead work
• Environmental awareness
• Common plumbing processes
• IOSH Working safely

Level 3 qualifications attainable:

• BPEC (Level 3) Solar domestic Hot Water Heating Systems*
****o Introduction*
****o Solar collectors*
****o Hot water storage and key installation issues*
****o Preparing to install a solar heating system*
****o Plumbing layout and a design of solar*
****o Fitting solar collectors water heating systems*
****o Control & power requirements*
****o System commissioning and handover to client
• BPEC (Level 3) Energy efficiency – Part L of the building regulations (2005)
• BPEC (Level 3) Unvented hot water
• BPEC (Level 3) Water regulations

id do a bit more research, those quals are out of date 6129&6089, i dont even think the 6089 is avaiable now

the solar there is the bpec one. to be industry recognised youll need the C&G one which is held in higher regard, it is a QCF qual and linked to a formal environmental award. i think its the company that need MCS creditation which will follow once your qualified etc

Local college is full, And fitting Pv solar panels you just need to be mcs accredited for customers to receive the feed in tariff.

you also need your unvented ticket to fit solar. Im really really surprised your local college is full? anyone with an appreticeship would get the full qualifications from college and an apprenticeship framework certificate

Why are you surprised it's full? I'd have no chance getting apprenticeship as I'm 21 an would have to be paid minimum wage £6 summat when they only pay school leavers £2.50 so wonder who they'd choose. Btw I haven't enrolled on the course an this is me researching the course, seems only way into plumbing is college which will be school leavers, an the people who do theses fast track courses n just set up self employed with half a idea, none of theses routes are for me which is unfair as I'd really enjoy plumbing, looks like I'll have to stick to my 33k a year job or find something else : (

Why are you surprised it's full? I'd have no chance getting apprenticeship as I'm 21 an would have to be paid minimum wage £6 summat when they only pay school leavers £2.50 so wonder who they'd choose. Btw I haven't enrolled on the course an this is me researching the course, seems only way into plumbing is college which will be school leavers, an the people who do theses fast track courses n just set up self employed with half a idea, none of theses routes are for me which is unfair as I'd really enjoy plumbing, looks like I'll have to stick to my 33k a year job or find something else : (

I'm surprised its full because many young people cannot find work as an apprentice. The college your looking to get into has already filled all its places for September with employed apprentices, 3 months early, wow. Many employers dont normally take on the apprentice until the course starts, I wonder how many there are to be full?

So youve decided the course you were looking at is not for you?

Yea fast track courses yea, an college has suitable placements with companies before any1 apply they dnt find there own, I've done a apprenticeship with this college.

Oh and I have applied for a apprenticeship with a large local company looking for 3 apprentices, working on social housing installs and maintenance.

looks like I'll have to stick to my 33k a year job or find something else : (

That is perhaps your best bet.

Being a scaffolder you are well aware of just how bad thing are in the construction game. You don't need to be told. The grass is no greener here.

Follow your dream by all means but be aware it will cost you a lot to set up for very little return as your only option would be self employment. You would probably be looking at a good few years before you even recouped your costs. After a bit £2.50/hr may seem like a luxury.
You are also highly unlikely, unless you are very very lucky, to ever be employed as a plumber if you do a fast track.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice starting new career in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock