Discuss A few College questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

joe brown

Hello everybody, Im just doing a mock theory test at college and im stuck on a few questions because we havent covered them yet, Its preparing us for the exam in two weeks. Can you help.

1. Which of the following is the correct type of joint that can be used to make a connection between two sections of polybutylene hot water pipe?

a] Push fit
b] End feed capillary
c] Capillary solder ring fitting - i think its this one
d] fusion welded fitting

2. which of the following can be used to overcome the problems with long dead legs in hot water systems pipeworks.

a] Apply trace heating
b] Apply localised cooling
c] Fit a shock arrestor
d] Fit a non return valve

Now i was thinking that you would fit a pump and create a secondry circulation - But that isnt there so am i correct in thinking Non return valve?

3. Which of the following types of copper tube would normally be used to form the cold feed pipe to a hot water storage cylinder.

a] R220 minibore coils
b] R220 soft coils - i think it is this
c] R250 half hard lengths
d] R290 hard lengths

4. the maximum working pressure of a copper hot water pipework system is 0.4 bar. What is the soundness test pressure to be applied to meet water regulation requirements?

a] 0.2 bar
b] 0.4 bar
c] 0.6 bar
d] 0.8 bar

5. What is the minimum gap required in a feed and expansion cistern between the finished (heated) water level and the invert level of a warning pipe

a] 10mm
b] 25mm
c] 50mm - i think it is this
d] 100mm

I was in college a year and a half ago and the answer is trace-heating. But it was an answer my tutor made a point of saying was not one of City and Guilds finest moments. There were plenty of things he told us he didn't agree with on the exams. But you have to pass the exams so that's the answer you put. Secondary circulation and pumps are what most plumbers would do. And by dead leg they mean any pipe run, in use, between the heated water source and the appliance.

As far as im aware a dead leg is a run of pipe that contains water when a terminal is turned off

Say a hot feed to a shower is 10m in lenghts. When the shower is off this wter is cold and useless and has to run through the shower until hot water can fill it

This is known as a dead legs

I may be wrong though

But if can get a nrv in you would Cut back cap off and leave the leg empty leaving no risk of bacteria growing. See what I mean.

You guys are not reading the question ..

which of the following can be used to overcome the problems with long dead legs in hot water systems pipeworks.

a] Apply trace heating
b] Apply localised cooling
c] Fit a shock arrestor
d] Fit a non return valve

Its an exam not reality!! you can use trace heating to keep the "dead leg" (i.e. a long pipe to a fixture without a secondary return) at usable temperature! This avoids wastage of water.

:):)

I remember being told by tutors "You've got to do it this way for City and Guilds but the rest of the time you must do it this way instead as this is the industry standard"

Can't remember anything at the moment except using lead clips for securing flashings on the City and Guilds course, which is not recommended anymore in industry.

I remember being told by tutors "You've got to do it this way for City and Guilds but the rest of the time you must do it this way instead as this is the industry standard"

Can't remember anything at the moment except using lead clips for securing flashings on the City and Guilds course, which is not recommended anymore in industry.
what do the reccomend now then ?

Here's an interesting calculation I remember from college - how to calculate the heat loss from different diameter copper pipes.

Heat transfer coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The equation here is how you work out the rate of heat transfer for the copper tube within the cylinder and hence determine what overall length it must be for a certain rate of heat transfer (in watts). To work out in BTU, divide by 3.414 :

Heat transfer coefficient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also use the same equation to calculate heat losses from insulated and uninsulated pipe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to A few College questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back