Discuss 45 and want to retrain as a plumber!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
fascinating read S, you have given a frank and honest account of the industry at its pesent time. I work for Red, and at the moment jus cant give me enough work to make a good living. I want to go independent but think the risk might be to geat in the financial climate
going self employed is a risk in any financial climate not just bad ones.

fascinating read S, you have given a frank and honest account of the industry at its pesent time. I work for Red, and at the moment jus cant give me enough work to make a good living. I want to go independent but think the risk might be to geat in the financial climate

if your worried about going independant in a trade to are already in, how on earth do you think youll cope in a brand new trade with no customers or experience?

I was a driving inst in the last economic disaster, any industry that people look at and think 'its easy' is at risk of having the market flooded by wannabes, recently redundant people who have cash to burn think 'I'll be a driving instructor how hard can it be sitting there telling people turn left, turn right'

This is complete bull, we both know it, not going into what it takes to become an instructor here, not the correct forum. Its a long hard slog and when I did it, I think the overall pass rate from begining the training to becoming an ADI was 35% then most give it up and go back to what they knew before being made redundant. Adverts by RED and BSM are scandalous.

This industry is no different, people advertising big earnings blah blah blah it is just blatant lies. I didn't believe the hype, I've done enough in my life to see bull but I thought it'd be easier than it is to earn at this job.

I underestimated, ok, completely underestimated how difficult this job is,

Yesterday I priced a radiator for a woman , long story short, I quoted £200, the rad and parts were £100, didn't get the job, asked the woman how much she thought the job would cost and she said '£100' you will face this on a daily basis.

Trouble is the quote cost me about an hour of my day! as a driving instructor you don't deal with this, the cost of the lesson is set. Simple, no arguing! if the learner doesn't turn up you can still charge for the lesson.

If I got the job I will have to spend £100 out of my pocket to get the stuff, if I get knocked I am not only out on labour but out on the parts, my supplier will still want his money! If a learner doesn't have the money your out £20 or you just drive off, you don't let them run up a tab....

If you decide to jump ship, good luck to you, think carefully, you will have to give up your badge unless you still want to do the check test but there is a way round this if you need to know send me a PM.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 45 and want to retrain as a plumber!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Looking for advice please, our plumber has left us in it and I think I may know why. So they where supposed to be fitting a cloakroom sink...
Replies
Views
This sounds like an examination question but it really is a problem two different plumbers have been unable to resolve after spending several...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an unvented water heater which for some reason every year causes me issues. At the end of 2023 I noticed that the pressure valve...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock