Discuss 2 ports in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

townfanjon

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Guys, swapping over some old BG 2ports ( think danfoss or drayton ) to honeywell , guys taken a pic of the wires to save me tripping over.
5 wires , look same colour as the honeywell , and idea, is it straight swap colour for colour .

many thanks

Honeywell are not that good now. Don't be fooled by the nice solid looking exterior.

What are a better alternative and why?

Truthfully, I don't know. What surprised me was an unvented unit I fitted had a Honeywell valve which started to slip inside. Had to replace with identical type. Opened the original actuator to discover it is badly made inside, with the geared lever part very sloppy done.
I actually trust some of the cheaper brands more. Myson MVs are ok. Plumb centre own brand are made by Honeywell (I am told?) and are very cheap.
I find Danfoss a disaster - their micro switch is jamming on. Drayton not great either

Honeywell are not that good now. Don't be fooled by the nice solid looking exterior.

Yep got to agree , but IMO, they are still the best, besides that i have a box with about 30 in lol lol

When I used to sub for Tribune, we used to use Sunvic stuff, their plastic crap valves used to sound like bags of plastic nuts and bolts , but strangely they seem to keep on going

Truthfully, I don't know. What surprised me was an unvented unit I fitted had a Honeywell valve which started to slip inside. Had to replace with identical type. Opened the original actuator to discover it is badly made inside, with the geared lever part very sloppy done.
I actually trust some of the cheaper brands more. Myson MVs are ok. Plumb centre own brand are made by Honeywell (I am told?) and are very cheap.
I find Danfoss a disaster - their micro switch is jamming on. Drayton not great either
Real shame their isnt a go to quality manufacturer and damn cheaky to keep charging as if you are when you are no longer making anything near the same quality. Comoanys should gave to change model numbers or something when they change manufacturing plant or materials so as a consumer you can identify when they start milking their rep for extra profit.
Pretty much the old bait and switch con.

Yep got to agree , but IMO, they are still the best, besides that i have a box with about 30 in lol lol

Nearly all MVs on unvented units are Honeywell, - so a lot of manufacturers must think same.
But I wouldn't be surprised some other MVs are better built in many ways. I am never going to use Danfoss with all the trouble they give, & they aren't cheap. Something is wrong with most of MVs. They seem to be the present rip off "consumable" part.
Really what is the point in having, say 2 zones on a small house, designed to save some money (usually smallish percent of yearly fuel bill) and aid comfort with controllable temperature, - but fail often and cause the customer a bill of perhaps £100 - £200 each replacement? Mad.

I think that the manufacturers of some branded products tend to get greedy and the quality suffers e.g. Grohe, Honeywell, Ideal, Vaillant etc.

However, Honeywell valves are still the best domestic valves because of their rubber ball design which does not create the same problems on existing systems as 'rotating shoe' type valves e.g. danfos (the shoe is often restricted in its smooth movement owing to magnetite which leads to premature motor-burn). In addition, the Honeywell valves have blue-wired heavy duty synchron motors, compared to other brands that have lower performing orange wired motors. Finally, Honeywell valves are the cheapest and most simple to maintain because the individual synchron motor, which is usually the most common failure, is available and relatively cheap.

Last edited:
Synchron motor can be replaced on most of them with the identical American part

Getting slightly off subject, but on similar theme, - any of the experienced oil guys here will know about Satronic Control Boxes used on oil burners from decades ago to date. Just like Honeywell MVs, they were known to be incrediblely reliable - I know some must be 40 years old and still working. Made in Switzerland quality.
BUT they are newer types now which were Swiss and reliable but now look same but made in Hungary and not so hot

Try replacing the danfos (white) synchron motor and you will find it pop-riveted into the housing and not suitable for replacement motors.

Honestly can't remember what I have done with them, although I do know I have opened them. I will take a look. I suspect they can still be replaced no problem.
I do know that the Danfoss actuators are always having faulty micro switches staying on with no mechanical fault.

Try replacing the danfos (white) synchron motor and you will find it pop-riveted into the housing and not suitable for replacement motors.

Which one? The Danfoss Type HPA2 actuator is a simple couple screws holding the synchron motor. I have just opened one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 2 ports in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
P
  • Question
Boiler is SIRIUS THREE FS 70 Potterton commercial. Situation: We are small building contractors and my labourers managed to damage the radiator...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock