Search the forum,

Discuss 10mm speedfit in walls. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

spikewt

Gas Engineer
hello

i'm after a few opinions really to get some idea which way to approch a job.

Im estimating for a full heating system from scratch. The customer has warm air heating but its just been condemned so no rads anywhere. They are happy to have rads but done want any pipework on show so the idea is to chase 10mm plastic into the the solid walls and come out behind the rad. So no joints it the wall and no precise measurments for rad tails. I'll run silver tape behind so they can be identified with a detector.
problem 1 ; plasterer cant guaranty it wont crack which i can see his point so will some sort of pipe rap or tubing solve that. i was thinking about the sort of pipe conduit you use for underfloor heating between rooms.
Problem 2 : they live right next to a field to natrually they get mice so the loft has to be copper. the idea is to connect a 10 to 15 speedfit elbow then staight into copper for everything in the loft.
Problem 3 : They want either a storage combi (probably viessman 222-f) or boiler and unvented cylinder (viessman again.) The incoming main is 15mm but not bad flow or pressure plus its right near where i need it to be. Iv only ever ran from 20 or 25mm incoming mains so im curious if anyone has been sucessful with 15mm? theres a big jacuzzi bath to fill so thats my concern plus they like a good shower.

Feedback would go down a treat.
thanks very much

system boiler and 25 mdpe to run unvented cylinder ,I dont like plastic and I dont like the idea pipe in the walls !
can you not lift up floor boards to run in copper ?

Its a bungalow with solid floors. I showed them the pipe conduit ya can get like electricians use designed for 15mm. Thier faces said it all. thats why i needs to hide the pipes.

i personally understand you , but for the customer I dont get !

they happy to chase the walls and make right mess but not willing to have the pipe work on drops !

Did bungalow last year full install all on drops ,unvented and system boiler in the loft worked wonderful

well that was my argument. Iv told them that the best plasterer in the world aint gonna be able to feather in a chase and make the wall look like its never been touched. i think that went straight in one ear and out the other. when you look in the bungalow though, i can understand why they dont want pipes on show. Its abit like a show house.

:):):):):) get a camera and take photos off there faces when you start chasing the walls will be right fun;);););)

i like 10mm buried in walls for radiators. especially when the custard doesn't know it's there and go to put a picture up and go straight through the pipe with a nail lol. very lucrative for me!

are the walls thick enough to raggle out enough for a conduit for the pipes to be able to expand and contract in ? and where it comes out the wall have a bigger hole with one of those chrome clips that hide the hole ? so they can expand without cracking the plaster. I know it aint ideal but what else can you do

with 10mm pipes your looking at 15mm/22mm pipe for a conduit

Last edited:
there are plates that you can buy for the pipes to come out the wall. the just make an ugly hole behind the rad look abit tidier. I,v found some 22mm conduit that will take two 10mm pipes and the chasing machine will go deep enough.
due to the size and cost of the job im going to buy them a pipe detector then the silver tap behind the pipe shows them where the pipes are.

i like 10mm buried in walls for radiators. especially when the custard doesn't know it's there and go to put a picture up and go straight through the pipe with a nail lol. very lucrative for me!

Yes agreed as its usually on an evening or bank holiday when the diy ers have their hammers out ! those new-builds do a lot of that. Keep it up guys !!

New builds dont do alot of that its all they do pipes in the walls etc 10 mm everywhere , plumbing nightmare in about 20 years .God knows what its going to be like in these houses when problems arise as theres chip board flooring everywhere to boot ,

back on subject if customer wants then just do it as someone else will otherwise.

A few of our lads have put 10mm buried in the walls with a 10mm socket converting back to copper tails for the rad. Tape in some felt lagging? its not ideal but if the customers arnt giving you many options..

I agree with gaspastemania on the chip board flooring... people will need to be hot with the skilsaws !

put the 10mm pipes into 15mm plastic pipe, down into electrical back boxes with speedfit face plates at the center of the rad about half way up. Straight into valves using 15x10mm chrome pushfit elbows. Make sure the rads are not to short as the pipework will not help keep the rad secure, so small rads will rock about on there brackets.

or 10mm copper in 15mm plastic pipe dropping either in the center of rad or bang inline with valve.

i prefere to use copper in walls as the pipes are detectable which saves silver tape as needed with plastic pipes as per the regs.

Ok so after alot of debate and flipping a coin im goin for copper in the walls and a viessman boiler and cylinder (ready for solar) combo. There gonna get a new 25mm main put in so should work well.
I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to 10mm speedfit in walls. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock