Discuss Worchester Bosch error code EA - Part 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have the equipment to test the boiler is burning correctly after changing parts.

How have you tested the gas supply after changing he valve and removing the test nipple at the meter?
He doesn’t even have a u manometer to do there first thing you always should do.

Actually, compared to others before him on this subject he hasn't been agressive or rude and he hasn`t thrown the toys out of the pram. Posts #9 & 46 show he is willing to listen.
Whilst he may not be rude or aggressive he is endangering people and property , breaking the law and doesn’t seem remotely bothered by it, by endorsing his attitude or approach to the subject, because he seems like a bright bloke that’s not rude, are you offering carte Blanche? is it ok in your view for some without the training, test equipment or knowledge to just download a manual open up a boiler and have a go ? I’m sure as many of us you will have you have come across many situations where a diy will “have had a go”at his plumbing and made the situation far worse or more complex, the usual worst case scenario is that everything will get very wet, I don’t want you to suck eggs but the worst case scenario with Gas doesn’t result in a damp carpet. The OP is apparently a trained Spark and a landlord so should know better, and by trying to save a few quid or explore his curiosity is potentially endangering himself his tenants his neighbors and anyone in the local vicinity, if he gains the confidence and support from others to carry on “having a go “ there is a huge potential for error with potentially fatal consequences.

Whilst he may not be rude or aggressive he is endangering people and property , breaking the law and doesn’t seem remotely bothered by it, by endorsing his attitude or approach to the subject, because he seems like a bright bloke that’s not rude, are you offering carte Blanche? is it ok in your view for some without the training, test equipment or knowledge to just download a manual open up a boiler and have a go ? I’m sure as many of us you will have you have come across many situations where a diy will “have had a go”at his plumbing and made the situation far worse or more complex, the usual worst case scenario is that everything will get very wet, I don’t want you to suck eggs but the worst case scenario with Gas doesn’t result in a damp carpet. The OP is apparently a trained Spark and a landlord so should know better, and by trying to save a few quid or explore his curiosity is potentially endangering himself his tenants his neighbors and anyone in the local vicinity, if he gains the confidence and support from others to carry on “having a go “ there is a huge potential for error with potentially fatal consequences.

I don't think anyone is endorsing what he is doing, and like a lot of people where money is involved common sense go's out the window, these type of posts & questions will never stop as long as information and videos showing how to find faults, repair and test along with free access to gas parts is readily available. Its down to the governing bodies & government to do something about it, although Corgi/Gas Safe have been trying for years it seems their hands are tied.

Am I offering carte Blanche? No I`m not.

Is it ok in your view for some without training ......... to have a go? No it`s not.

By endorsing his attitude ................
Where did I endorse anything? I simply made a point that he has been polite in his replies (even offering to eat humble pie).
Politely suggest you go back and read his posts again ;)

FFS, shut the thread down
The guy's in the wrong
This type of thread wouldn't have had 55 replies a year or so ago
It would have had 1

FFS, shut the thread down
The guy's in the wrong
This type of thread wouldn't have had 55 replies a year or so ago
It would have had 1

Problem with that is he doesn't learn / get educated about what he's doing and why it's illegal

He's been told numerous times Shaun
He chooses not to listen, flogging a dead horse

I’m happy to be corrected on anything I say below. I am going to ignore the requirements for Gas Safe Engineers as we are not talking about this, I am solely looking at what you can legally do in your own home.

The Gas Safe Register is run by Capita Group, they were appointed by the HSE in 2008 to run the new registration scheme. They are responsible for ensuring registered engineers are competent and improving consumer awareness. They do not make laws nor administer work in your own home, we therefore need to look to the HSE with reference to which laws might exist for consumers wishing to fix their own boilers.

I found this article on the HSE web site which I believe is still current. It was released in 2000 and I have not been able to find anything current that states otherwise. This document advises “While current law does not prohibit DIY gas work provided that the person is competent to do it safely, DIY is strongly discouraged in HSE guidance” www.hse.gov.uk/consult/disdocs/dde14b.pdf Unfortunately they do not provide any guidance on what defines competent.

There is however, a new “Safety in the installation and use of gas systems and appliances” that comes into force on 5 April 2018.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/l56.pdf I strongly recommend a read of this, I found it very informative.

The regulation sates “No person shall carry out any work in relation to a gas fitting or gas storage vessel unless he is competent to do so.”

Fortunately, in the new document we now have “ACOP” which is the Approved Code of Practice. This is not law, but it does state; “Gas work should only be undertaken by a person who has successfully completed an industry-recognised training course followed by assessment of competence”

It also mentions “the code has a special legal status. If you are prosecuted for breach of health and safety law, and it is proved that you did not follow the relevant provisions of the code, you will need to show that you have complied with the law in some other way or the court will find you at fault”

Previously I would argue that I am competent. However, going forward I think I would struggle to win this argument as the new policy coming into force now closes that door firmly shut by giving guidance on what they deem competent. There are no longer any grey areas. So on that note my first gas fitting replacement will be my last.

However, one thing I was not able to ascertain is where do you draw the line; I recall reading a wet plumber can replace the pump in a boiler, but I could not find that article again to conclude. Similarly I also read if a wet plumber installs the radiators a GSR engineer should do the final connection to the boiler. I’m gonna do some more research on that, but I think this post is big enough for now.

I’ve learnt a lot from this post, I’m hopeful others have to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worchester Bosch error code EA - Part 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock