Discuss Worchester Bosch error code EA - Part 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to set the record straight, yes I am a spark and part of a competent person scheme. I am also a landlord, Advanced PADI diver and swam 800 meters at school and have a badge to prove it!
What relevance this has is beyond me. Please keep this professional.

It was my own boiler, all my tenants boilers are serviced and have gas safety certificates issued yearly as required.

Back to the matter in hand, I will reply further over the weekend when I have more time.

Just to set the record straight, yes I am a spark and part of a competent person scheme. I am also a landlord, Advanced PADI diver and swam 800 meters at school and have a badge to prove it!

It was my own boiler, all my tenants boilers are serviced and have gas safety certificates issued yearly as required.

Back to the matter in hand, I will reply further over the weekend when I have more time.
Then you should know better. Think that’s enough said.

This go's back to my first reply ! Its in his house its his own personal property, who is going to stop him doing what he wants with it ? you can attach this argument to anything, take your car/van for example you tinker with the engine or whatever, something happens to you get prosecuted for NOT being competent because you haven't done a mechanics course, your reply I didn't know anyway its my car I can do what I want to it, I can buy the parts & tools so what's to stop me !!
You will never stop people tinkering around with there own goods its human nature, we have all done things at home etc. moved a switch/plug worked on the car, did we call in a sparks or a mechanic ? answer NO so maybe we are just as much to blame.

who is going to stop him doing what he wants with it ?

No-one is!

There are no 'fiddle with your own Gas appliance, van brakes, Electrics, Police', Or at least if there are I have never seen them in action. You are free to do as you wish, we all are.

The thing is, it is difficult to prove competence after the fact, even if you didn't do anything wrong. That is why we have competent persons schemes. They are beyond a joke and a money spinning farce in my opinion. Nevertheless, in theory you have proven your competence in advance should any unfortunate mishap occur.
That does not mean of course that you are exempt from prosecution, just that it was acceptable for you to be working on whatever the mishap was caused by and that theoretically you knew what you were doing with it. It also means that you were insured to be working on whatever it was, presuming you have taken that out.

The Law is never as cut and dried as we might think it is.

Also if you had been GSR theres a very high chance you would have known the fault without half of the dangerous messing you done before hand

I can see where the guy is coming from, but in all honesty who is going to report him ? His house his boiler we know the law, and he has done wrong, But how meny others do the same thing ? it will never stop as long as all the information that is required is easily available, parts for gas appliance's can be bought over the counter by anyone, the same as test equipment, you can even hire it! All the Merchants, DIY Stores , online shopping will all sell any Gas Appliance or spare part you need with no questions asked, So as long as this go's on DIY work on gas will not stop ! and people look at what they are spending and as long as they can save a ÂŁ1. they will keep on doing it.

Good points !
I have said similar things over the years.
Where money is involved, safety takes second place in some circumstances.

This go's back to my first reply ! Its in his house its his own personal property, who is going to stop him doing what he wants with it ? you can attach this argument to anything, take your car/van for example you tinker with the engine or whatever, something happens to you get prosecuted for NOT being competent because you haven't done a mechanics course, your reply I didn't know anyway its my car I can do what I want to it, I can buy the parts & tools so what's to stop me !!
You will never stop people tinkering around with there own goods its human nature, we have all done things at home etc. moved a switch/plug worked on the car, did we call in a sparks or a mechanic ? answer NO so maybe we are just as much to blame.

That may be so but to tinker with your car or do some minor electrics or even major electrics is not illegal. You can do your own electrics even if it is notifiable work and pay the local authorities to inspect/test it and give you the building regs certificate. It is different for gas as it is illegal. Even if it is there own property or not. And that is the message we are trying to get across here.
I'm all for trying to save a few bob, and will encourage anyone to have a go and save money. It is one of the things this forum is all about, giving expert advice and tips to it's members to help them out. But never anything that is gas related to non GSR people. Yes you will, and always get the 'have a go hero' who is willing to break the law and possibly endanger the lives and property of the people and neighbours in the vicinity. It is up to us as the professional's, the government and Gas Safe to try and educate the public on these matters and get the message across. DO NOT MESS WITH GAS.

Darren this argument has been going on since Corgi started and is no further on now, Corgi, Gas safe have tried for years to stop the sale of gas products to the general public, but the government will not back it up due to pressure from the large manufactures and other outlets screaming its restrictive practise and it will make the gas industry a closed shop and prices will increase . So DIY gas repairs / installs will never stop, whether we give advise or not, in fact with all the information that is available on the internet more people are inclined to have a go than they were a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worchester Bosch error code EA - Part 2 in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock