Discuss What's in it for the employer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charlie1

Hi

I had a phone call from my uncle last night and he knows a guy who has his own firm and may be looking for an apprentice. What he wants to know is "Whats in it for him" basically I think hes scared of being out of pocket and thinks he may has to get all these different types of insurance etc.
Does anybody know the benefits for employers taking on apprentices, if there is any??
And also does it matter if the company you work for is self employed or a Ltd company?
Any help would be great,

Cheers guys

Don’t some get subsidised? So they don’t loose out some even make I believe

You get susidised from the likes of JTl but you have to pay apprentice an hourly rate and when at college and when on holiday etc
Id like to know who makes on it !!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had apprentices for the last 10 years and am about on my last 2 now its just not worth it.
No doubt someone will have a happy tale though
I have been thinking of charging for an apprenticeship , at least then you would get some commitment. I would not send then to college as I think the current training is absolute rubbish

Last edited:
I've got one just now older bloke and helps a lot can do jobs in a day that would take two or three on my own so I make that a good deal for me. ?Taken a bit of time but he is in his second year now and it is starting to work for me. I agree with the training comment, half his lecturers or whatever they call themselves are lifers in the school straight out their time or BG and in the college. I often get comments like my lecturer say this and that. I often say tell him I said different and if he has a problem we can discuss it. Thing like putting a strap boss on a cast pipe...or how to bend up an off set. In fairness the apprentice must get confused I find it all amusing more than anything. Most of them forget what it's like in outside the classroom.

I'm considering taking on an apprentice later this year or next. It's just me and my dad in the business, but he is 65 this year, and I want to take some of the strain off him. Minimum wage for an apprentice is only 95 pound a week so I'd pay them that and a young lad out of school would really appreciate it, I'd feel like I was giving something back. Id want them in college too, I couldn't encourage someone to be a bum and just work for me with working towards qualifications.

You get susidised from the likes of JTl but you have to pay apprentice an hourly rate and when at college and when on holiday etc
Id like to know who makes on it !!!!!!!!!!!!
I have had apprentices for the last 10 years and am about on my last 2 now its just not worth it.
No doubt someone will have a happy tale though
I have been thinking of charging for an apprenticeship , at least then you would get some commitment. I would not send then to college as I think the current training is absolute rubbish

Thanks for your reply. Probably not the best thing to show to the guy who has doubts about taking on an apprentice:D:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What's in it for the employer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock