Search the forum,

Discuss what is this thing in my wall in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm trying to widen my driveway and this is in the way,what is it ? a vent to the drain system ? something else ? can I remove it ? I havn't uncovered anything yet so cant give anymore info
IMG-20230802-WA0000 (1).jpg

Thought it might you used to get cast iron vents they were more decorative than this one. So it looks like gully frame extention frame with lid (used when raising the hight of a road gully pot when laying new layer of tar on top of the old road surface ). seems to be a chamber/box if it goes down about 24 inches. Properly conected to a pipe, so if you can get that cover off will give you a better idea. Will take a bit of work to get it off might break but only way you are going to find out. Wear eye protection as bits will fly of when doing so. Might be a vent pipe for a drain, but unusal set up if it is.

Thought it might you used to get cast iron vents they were more decorative than this one. So it looks like gully frame extention frame with lid (used when raising the hight of a road gully pot when laying new layer of tar on top of the old road surface ). seems to be a chamber/box if it goes down about 24 inches. Properly conected to a pipe, so if you can get that cover off will give you a better idea. Will take a bit of work to get it off might break but only way you are going to find out. Wear eye protection as bits will fly of when doing so. Might be a vent pipe for a drain, but unusal set up if it is.
thanks for all that,1st job this weekend might use an angle grinder and I did think initially it was a vent for a drain.having walked up and down the street I now notice almost everyone has one

Let me know what you find
update on this,I didnt manage to get an angle grinder on it at the weekend but most people on the street have them in the same place (vertical in wall) some are directly in line with the main street drain some like mine are slightly off line to the drain,someone has taken down some off their wall and the old vent is now flush with the pavement and they have used what I would term a rainwater drain vent.someone has also taken down part of their wall and done nothing with the vent ie its gone
So it looks like its a cast iron vent connected to the main drains in our street which runs underneath the pavement why is it there ? dont know.

update on this,I didnt manage to get an angle grinder on it at the weekend but most people on the street have them in the same place (vertical in wall) some are directly in line with the main street drain some like mine are slightly off line to the drain,someone has taken down some off their wall and the old vent is now flush with the pavement and they have used what I would term a rainwater drain vent.someone has also taken down part of their wall and done nothing with the vent ie its gone
So it looks like its a cast iron vent connected to the main drains in our street which runs underneath the pavement why is it there ? dont know.
Hi it most likely be a 4" fireclay pipe comming up from the pipe below. I would do the same as others connect it to a rain water drain cover. If the car does not drive over heavy plastic one will do, if not a metal one would be better. You can get a 4″ Clay to 4″ Plastic Adaptor connect this to the clay pipe the add a bit of 4" plastic pipe. Then a 110mm rodding point cover like the one in the picture, would not advice using one of the cheap drain lids with the grid on it (like the plastic hopper one in photo) as it will be on the drive this will fit into the plastic pipe. Drill a few small holes in the cover to let it vent, if you use one of the drain hopper covers with the open grid dirt stones will get into the dain. This is not the cheapest option (check out the prices) however I think is is the best option.

Attachments

• cover.jpg
    cover.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 5
  • hopper.jpeg
    hopper.jpeg
    18.8 KB · Views: 3

Reply to what is this thing in my wall in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock