Search the forum,

Discuss Water tank size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm doing up my first house which is a large victorian terrace and need to install a new water tank in the loft. It only supplies the hot water system (cold is from the mains). Can anybody tell me how I calculate the size I'd need as the old one is basically an old baby's bath :blush2:

The house is 5 floors, currently 2 bathrooms (bath, shower, basin, toliet), 1 wc (sink and toilet). Then there is the kitchen and a laundry room which has 2 sinks.

I'm planning on moving it into the loft space so I'd need it to be a coffin tank as the opening to the loft is tiny. I'm looking at the 25gallon one, do you reckon this will be sufficient?

Hope you can help!

I know I'm jumping gun here because you have not yet decided on volume but a word to the wise, water weighs 10lb ( roughly ) per gallon. Make sure it's properly supported.

you should really go for a 50 gallon cwst if you can get it in. are you doing the work yourself or getting a plumber in? there are certain regulations that need to be followed.

Wow, thanks for the quick replies.

It'll be well supported as I'm making an atomic bomb proof structure for it to live on.

I don't plan on having any power showers so shouldn't need a pump as the house has excellent water pressure.

I was planning on doing the job myself as I've done quite a few other plumbing jobs before building up to this one, which regulations are you referring to?

Even without pumps I recommend 50 gallons, by law 30 the kit will come with the tank use all the bits not throw them away or leave in a bag in the loft like I've previously seen. If possible position the tank over a supporting wall

anyone else thinking unvented cylinder would be perfect ?

anyone else thinking unvented cylinder would be perfect ?

Yes, - so obvious if the OP is correct about the pressure and if a plumber could confirm the flow rates then should be the cheapest and best way by far to fit an unvented cylinder. Buying a new cold water tank and kit, plus all new pipework, pipe insulation, valves, overflow pipe, etc, alone would cost a fair bit.
Needs a G3 plumber but and not DIY.
If the OP does still go with a traditional gravity hot water system, I would go with reasonably large cwt capacity - 50 gallon min. You need storage for when mains water if off, that's why they are called cold water storage tanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Water tank size in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but donā€™t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock