Search the forum,

Discuss Vitra dual flush running constantly....Help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mick590

Hi,

Can anyone advise me on how to stop my dual-flush Vitra toilet running constantly?
Firstly, how do I open the cistern lid?
The toilet was fitted in our new house in late 2007.
Any help greatly appreciated. I have isolated the in-line valve & flushed the cistern.

Toilet.jpg

The push button should screw of, when that is of you can just lift the lid of, you may need a new ball valve as I suspect the water level is getting to high and is going through the overflow and will cause the water constantly running into the pan

yes the push button in the picture it should just screw of if not, you need to prise the buttons out of the ring and there will be a screw under it, try just screwing it of first though

Hi,

Got the lid off....thanks Mr M.

The water is still trickling into the bowl.

The noise I've been hearing is like a release of bubbles, it happens now when I push the float to the left of this photo.

The water level never seems to reach the overflow tube on the right?

Inside toilet.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you tried adjusting the height of the float to lower the water level in the cistern?
The white plastic rod with a cross on the end - turn it (closkwise I think) to adjust the height of the float about a centimeter lower than it is now. If that doesn't fix it, then yes, replace with a quality brand like fluidmaster.

I think you will find it will be the seating washer on the flush section being gunked up
not sure if your one will allow but most twist about a quarter turn and lift out to expose seating washer for you to check/clean ....water will continue to fill as level cannot be reached untill you stop water passing by the seating washer hope this helps regards turnpin

I think you will find it will be the seating washer on the flush section being gunked up
not sure if your one will allow but most twist about a quarter turn and lift out to expose seating washer for you to check/clean ....water will continue to fill as level cannot be reached untill you stop water passing by the seating washer hope this helps regards turnpin

would of advised that but the valve is one of them crappy ones you get with b and q toilets, better doing what I said and get the best one on the market no more problems :)

Mr M, Turpin,

Is the seating valve on the other component?

I had to but the same ball valve mech that is fitted, short on time & work o'sees.

Will fit tomorrow & see :)

Cheers, for all the input guys, hopefully have a dribble free new year ;-)

Mick

would of advised that but the valve is one of them crappy ones you get with b and q toilets, better doing what I said and get the best one on the market no more problems :)
better doing what turnpin says, flush valve is passing, you may need a new one, probs nothing wrong with your float valve.

Mr M, Turpin,

Is the seating valve on the other component?

I had to but the same ball valve mech that is fitted, short on time & work o'sees.

Will fit tomorrow & see :)

Cheers, for all the input guys, hopefully have a dribble free new year ;-)

Mick

I have just re read over this thread and didnt see that you said before that the water is not reaching the overflow, just read the bit about bubbles from the ball valve, Turpin is most likely right, the "other part" may have something stopping to fully sealing, the other bit should just twist and pull out clean it up and clean up the part what is left in the cistern put it back in and see if this solves it.

sorry for any inconvenience

No probs,

Not unboxed the float valve yet.
Will have a play tomorrow & see how I get on.
I have spent many an hour replacing parts on aircraft only to find it still not working, usually because of a simple fault we dismiss!!

Many thanks for all the inputs.

Over n out for now ;-)

Hi Mick590 yes the sealing washer is under the other component the flush valve good luck regards turnpin

No mate, the tube in the original picture I presume is the overflow into the bowl?

:banghead: OK, what can it be?
Cistern.jpg

I've replaced this complete unit & it's still running into the pan!!!
The area on the base of the cistern seems damage free & clean.

Help!!!!

Have taken the flush mech out now, is a bead of silicone a good idea or not?

Have taken the flush mech out now, is a bead of silicone a good idea or not?

question, does water still run into the pan when the lid is of?

edit- use plumbers gold its better but yes silicone will do the job but you will have to leave it for a few hours to set

3 things what I can think of whats the problem:

ball valve is letting to much water in and its going through the over flow but you said this was not the case
flush valve is broke but you said you replaced it
next thing I would do is take the lid of and see if its still running if not post back please

Hi,
Ball valve does not keep filling, water stops well below o'flow
Flush valve old & new seem in perfect order. Cleaned old seal before I bought & installed new valve assembly.

When water is isolated, flush toilet and leave........the cistern totally empties which leads me to believe it's getting past the flush valve to cistern seal?

theres no cracks in the cistern is there?

Can't see any mate, gonna let it dry out completely then see.
Will silicone do the trick or not?

Was looking at putting a layer all around the area then fitting the valve stack.

Mick

Can't see any mate, gonna let it dry out completely then see.
Will silicone do the trick or not?

Was looking at putting a layer all around the area then fitting the valve stack.

Mick

I would use plumbers gold, put a thick bead around the "black ring" you can use silicone but it doesnt seal instantly.

:banghead: OK, what can it be?
View attachment 9962

I've replaced this complete unit & it's still running into the pan!!!
The area on the base of the cistern seems damage free & clean. Help!!!!
did you replace with complete new unit or take out and replace?
regards turnpin
my thinking was the flush valve, if not dirt, some develop air bubbles and constantly dribble

OK mate,

Will look tomorrow & get some.

Will post the results tomorrow...........

Cheers for the help,

Mick

Hi,

I took the old unit out & cleaned all the seals first then re-installed it.........no fix!!
Bought new unit, set up identical to old unit & still the trickle!!!

Must be a problem around the outlet hole, will try plumbers gold as suggested, then maybe a hammer ;-)

Without being there it's really difficult to diagnose.
Given what you have said about the cistern totally emptying after flushing it must either be the top seal on the flush connection or the bottom seal in the flush mechanism. You could easily diagnose which if you take the cistern off but leave the flush mechanism in place then put it over your bath and pour some water in it. Look from below to see where the water is passing. If it's dribbling down the threaded part then it's the seal between the valve and the cistern base, if it's dribbling down the inside of the pipe then it's the mechanism.
If it turns out to be the mechanism then take it back to the shop for a refund and get down to a screwfix for a fluidmaster button operated syphon - that is of course if a fluidmaster will fit in there, best to measure first...

Well,

Could not find plumbers gold, so bought some Evo Stick "sticks like sh*t"
Put a bead around the hole & screwed the flush assy in & it seems to have dome the trick!

Thanks for all the advice on here :)

Regards,

Mick

Well,

Could not find plumbers gold, so bought some Evo Stick "sticks like sh*t"
Put a bead around the hole & screwed the flush assy in & it seems to have dome the trick!

Thanks for all the advice on here :)

Regards,

Mick
Glad you found a soloution to your problem and again thanks for letting us know regards turnpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vitra dual flush running constantly....Help? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock