Discuss Using Indirect Cylinder To Heat Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, I’m wondering if I could use an indirect cylinder to heat the water for a small central heating system. My plan is to use the the heat from inside of the cylinder to heat the coil and then use a pump connected to a thermostat to circulate the water to around 6 radiators. I ask because where we live we don’t have a gas boiler and our garden is far too small for oil and access is difficult for lpg to be installed. Could this work? An expansion vessel will be fitted obviously.

For starters I can't see your electric immersion heater providing enough heat to heat your water and 6 rads. Also this isn't something you could set up yourself, its an unvented system, so would require a plumber with G3 unvented qualification and they wouldn't touch this with a barge pole I'm afraid as it would be using appliances for purposes not approved by the manufacturer which in turn would be contravening building regs. That's my take on it at least, others might have a different opinion.

How you heating the cylinder?

I presume they mean they'd use the electric immersion heaters on the indirect cylinder to heat it and rather than the coil being hooked up to a boiler in order to heat the cylinder, they hook the coil up to the rads and use the immersion heaters effectively to heat the coil and the rads.

Although I might have got the wrong end of the stick, but that's how I read it...

I presume they mean they'd use the electric immersion heaters on the indirect cylinder to heat it and rather than the coil being hooked up to a boiler in order to heat the cylinder, they hook the coil up to the rads and use the immersion heaters effectively to heat the coil and the rads.

Although I might have got the wrong end of the stick, but that's how I read it...

That's what I was thinking but want confirmation.

Always room for an oil tank. Bundled steel tanks made to order.

Direct Thermal store but won't be cheap to run

For starters I can't see your electric immersion heater providing enough heat to heat your water and 6 rads. Also this isn't something you could set up yourself, its an unvented system, so would require a plumber with G3 unvented qualification and they wouldn't touch this with a barge pole I'm afraid as it would be using appliances for purposes not approved by the manufacturer which in turn would be contravening building regs. That's my take on it at least, others might have a different opinion.
I’m aware of that, it will take longer to heat with an element.

Reply to Using Indirect Cylinder To Heat Radiators in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

T
Hi We urgently need to get our h/w cylinder replaced because it's leaking. Our current system is oil boiler feeding underfloor downstairs...
Replies
Views
Hello want to know on how do you calculate size of expansion tank for closed heating systems . for example 500 meters of 16mm underfloor heating...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking to purchase a 300L unvented indirect cylinder to work with a standard heat only boiler. I may have solar panels in the future...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock