Discuss Up to UK Code? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dfdler

All,

I live in a relatively new build (about 5 y.o.) in the UK and had a leak from the drain of my tub this weekend (discovered after giving the daughter a bath). The drain is threaded and a plastic pipe fits to it using a large plastic... er... nut (plastic threaded fitting) with a washer in it.

It turns out that the plastic threaded fitting was only on finger tight and the person that did the fitting had very weak fingers. There is a washer in the fitting but there's no sealant and no glue (the lack of glue doesn't surprise me, but some kind of caulking in the threads would seem to be in order).

So I cranked it on there and the leak is gone, but there's still the water damage on the wall adjacent to the tub (it's clearly visible as you walk down the stairs to the ground floor).

What I'd like to know is, is this type of fitting up to UK plumbing code/requirements? I'm not a plumber [obviously] but I've helped plumbers put drains in Canada (where I'm from) and I've never, ever, ever, seen anything as ridiculous as this (esp on a drain!).

Is this *really* to code? Should I sick the landlord on the builder for the damages to the building (as I understand it, most new builds have a 5-10 year warranty in the UK)?

My other concern is the shower. It's the only drain that I don't have easy access to but now I'm terrified that it's rubbish as well (considering that two of the drains in this build have already leaked for exactly the same reason).

Cheers,
Dave.

Plastic nut, only needs hand tight, tools will reck it. As the seal is on a washer, there is no need to pack the thread out with ptfe or the like.

Sounds like it just was not hand tight enough.

I was going to ask if you were related to Mike. Love that show "it's just not up to code"

They recently put a new condensate line in , in copper and buied under a concrete floor , is that 2 code LOL

Its been OK for 5 years . They do things differently in Canada , we watch Holmes on Homes

Yes, it was just fine for [up to] five years [who knows when this leak started happening; did it just happen or did it slowly get worse over time]. And before the drain on the sink failed, it was just fine for [up to] three years. I don't see your point.

Anyways, not being a plumber and having no certifications in it, my question was a serious one. I am assuming that each country has a code of standards for trades. Y'know, which materials you are not allowed to use, basic fitting techniques for different situations, pressure requirements of fittings for different applications, etc. If no such thing exists in the UK, then that's fair enough [but google tells me otherwise].

As for doing things differently in Canada, you're right, we have different laws and guidelines governing the standards of work. They aren't always followed, as you can see in shows like Holmes on Homes but let's not go there. That's a TV show that comes with all of the issues associated with it. They focus on 18-20 jobs per season, sensationalise it and advertise their own business by making themselves out to be the hero.

It's always easier to criticize the guy that came before you, I recognize that which is why I want to know if this plumbing job is up to snuff. If I'm going to criticize his work, I want to be sure that it's warranted.

Cheers,
Dave.

well the waste should be manufactured to BS standards and be fit for purpose

its a tough one as it could have been dripping from day one in a well ventilated abthroom and so go unnoticed for a good amount of time. waste fittings are generally low pressure so tools to tighten are rarely needed. a dab of silicon grease is ok but not a formality

you mention landlord? is it therefore rented acoomadation?

do check the NHBC if its covered under that 10 near new home guarantee

waste fittings are generally low pressure so tools to tighten are rarely needed. a dab of silicon grease is ok but not a formality

Cheers for that.

Is that also the general convention for toilets? I've not had issues with mine but I've certainly put a plunger to it in the past.

I've had blockages where, while draining the tub, the toilet bubbled. In that case, I took a plunger to the toilet and cleared the blockage, but not before some pushing some water back up through the tub's drain. That would have added a lot of pressure to the fitting and so I'm sure that's contributed to it. But I'd still expect plumbing to survive occasional use of a plunger.

Also, plastic/PVC does expand/contract with temperature, esp in places like sinks, showers and tubs so I'm betting that's contributed, at least partly, to this as well.

That's why, to me, relying on plastic threads and a washer a seal is dangerous. Again, that's just based on my experience but I'm no plumber.

you mention landlord? is it therefore rented acoomadation?

Yes, it's rented.

do check the NHBC if its covered under that 10 near new home guarantee

Thanks, will do. I don't have access to the contract but will do some digging.

Cheers,
Dave.

i would pass the problem to the land lord

Everything expands with heat so waste fittings compensate for this when put together correctly

You still have to be carefully when plunging as you cant take for granted that quality fittings have been used and fitted correctly. if the toilet bubble the the seal is been lost due to a number of reasons.

you need to pass it back to the landloerd though, its his problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Up to UK Code? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
So I have a main drain that is plugged up in my apartment complex I rented a snake got it unplugged then flushed toilet paper down the toilet then...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a leak on the live side of one of my rads, in the GF loo. Its a condensing combi system, the house is only 5 years old, so fairly new...
Replies
Views
I'll pop this into the general advice forum as it seems the most active, but mods - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate. Thank...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock