Search the forum,

Discuss Unvented System - Finding a competent engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

farout20

I am thinking of installing an unvented system. How do I know I am dealing with a competent and knowledgeable engineer? What questions should I ask? Thank You- Far Out 20

ask to see they are unvented/g3 qualified. for a gas safe registered technician this is shown on the back of their id card, a non gas plumber will have his own id showing his unvented quals all with a photo to match the face in your doorway :)

No measure of quality though, I passed mine in a working men's club. The practical involved taking pressure and flow readings from a tap in the gents, and the theory was equally as ridiculous. At no point was a cylinder shown to anyone it was laughable.

Go on recommendations from people or trusted web sites is the best advice I can give you, but they will need the cert also.

No measure of quality though, I passed mine in a working men's club. The practical involved taking pressure and flow readings from a tap in the gents, and the theory was equally as ridiculous. At no point was a cylinder shown to anyone it was laughable.

Go on recommendations from people or trusted web sites is the best advice I can give you, but they will need the cert also.
You make a very good point EPH but not being funny why would you or anyone else go & do it in a place like that ?
You or at least someone paid good money (probably the same amount as a proper one charges) to attend a TRAINING & assessment one day course. The one I attended lasted all day 8.30 to almost 4 PM with only the last couple of hours being the assessment, we covered everything including a training rig on which the T&P was made to open at 95deg C.
I want to learn from doing these courses not just pay over money, get a piece of paper & get back to work !!! It kills me when you then hear engineers then moaning about how much these thing cost or how bad they are.
My advice, for what it is worth, is go & find a training center that trains!!

I fit about 6 - 10 a month, been qualified for the last 20 years and always keep up to date with changes in legislation.
So you were doing the re-assessment thing, the one we now have to do every 5 years?
I sure you will agree if you maintain em as well, about 3/4 of the ones I go to have something wrong, so can't all be installed by unqualified engineers.
When I talk to others they alway say the same "I keep up to date" "Don't need any more bl++dy training" then you find out they are installing S/W waste pipe or don't know that blending valves have to be fitted to baths etc etc.
Now I'am sure that the above does not apply to you EPH & you do keep fully up to date but you must agree with the saying "you don't know what you don't know"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Unvented System - Finding a competent engineer in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form to fill in what do u need to sign off in england as building control said they dont give out forms like they do in northern ireland
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock