Search the forum,

Discuss underfloor heating vs conventional rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimbob

Gas Engineer
hi, im trying to price up a a small 2 bedroom bungalow which will be built and we might sell on. Iv had experiance with underfloor and too much experiance with rads. Now they reackon running cost of underfloor is 25-40% cheaper due to lower temps. And one company claimed it take 40% less time to install... which im not so sure about. But I never had to buying it myself was am curious as to the extra cost of the system? Just an idea at the moment. Can anyne recommend any systems as iv only really used Uponor.

James

Well yes, under floor heating is more efficient with the right insulation fitted below however I think it all depends on the size of the rooms/spaces you are trying to heat and after furniture how much floor space you have
Under floor heating is the bee’s knees for large areas, i.e. offices and large homes, the heat is even through out the area, walls are free to with what you like and by heating the very surround, correctly insulated fabric is very economical. Radiators do not stand a chance
But we live in the UK, rabbit hutches for homes, even larger homes built now are only the size of our parents homes, by the time you have fitted a bed and wardrobes, side cabinets, what uncovered floor space do you have you in a bedroom
Like wise fit you sofa, chairs, side units ect, all insulating the floor you restrict heat output, you my say yes but once all these items are heated the room will become warm yes put now we are becoming less efficient and once you say OK room is correct temperature is can take ages for these rooms to respond to temperature adjustment, often resulting in over heating
This is why often we often mix and match, smaller areas radiators ,larger areas under floor heating, use the best of both worlds’ large kitchen/dinner/conservatory areas under floor heating, smaller rooms, bedrooms use radiators
As far as purchasing under floor heating you do not have to go over the top, on mine I just purchased 50m roll on plastic heating pipe and ran it up and down clipping as required, you can buy a mat if you wish that holds the pipe in place and then fitted a motorised valve on the flow and a gate valve for restricting flow/Balancing, linked to a room thermostat for the area, I have two areas, the bathroom and the conservatory done this way
40% less time to install under floor heating, I don’t think so, maybe the other way round
And before you all start on me the bathroom thermostat is sealed and low voltage that operated a relay to open and shut valve

As far as purchasing under floor heating you do not have to go over the top, on mine I just purchased 50m roll on plastic heating pipe and ran it up and down clipping as required, you can buy a mat if you wish that holds the pipe in place and then fitted a motorised valve on the flow and a gate valve for restricting flow/Balancing, linked to a room thermostat for the area, I have two areas, the bathroom and the conservatory done this way
40% less time to install under floor heating, I don’t think so, maybe the other way round
And before you all start on me the bathroom thermostat is sealed and low voltage that operated a relay to open and shut valve

What sort of flow temps are you putting through that?

Hi Jimbob
before considering your heating, consider the insulation in the bungalow, more insulation, less heat required to heat it.
I personally have found underfloor heating very easy and quick to install, especially on new builds. what sort of boiler are you going to use, or are you thinking of an air source heat pump.
regards
Mike

Hi I agree with unguided underfloor is very easy on new builds especially if clipping down on to kingspan prior to screeding just a few things there is a right and a wrong way of laying out underfloor heating/ becarefull of what finished product you put on top i.e look at my lovely 30mm thick carpet. in a perfect world underfloor is on most times "ticking over" there are certain companies we have used who send out engineers on your first install just to ensure your doing it right and its free but I think thats trade only they work everything out from sizing to parts list ! good thing is underfloor is zoned to different areas or rooms via a manifold.

Hi Plucky

Flow temp is top end,maybe a few deg slightly high at around 67-68 deg
I probably could turn it down a bit as all my radiatored rooms heat up well as rads oversized,I do have the advantage of a combination boiler so hot water set on differant circuit

see what your saying puddle, never realised that to be the case with underfloor heating. As for installation i would use an UF heating manifold like i always have, seems to operate well, and allows for a good flow and return temp.

No unguided, i dont think il be going for the air source heat pump on that one, i dont think it would fit in the budget at 4k for the worcester bosch unit, also limited on space. Which reminds me to my last post, the unit works really really well and i managed to install it without any installer instructions, it had the hot water storage unit heated up within 30-40mins.

Theres no way UF heating takes 40% less time, if anything it takes longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to underfloor heating vs conventional rads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock