Discuss TRV's Do you need to fit an automatic bypass valve as well, help needed please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gti8vdave

Hi Guys,

Need you're expertise please.

My heating system is very basic I don't have a termostat, all I have is a knob on the boiler to turn the heat up on the water.

This was a problem as in the morning I needed the heating on but also the hot water for a shower. But because the central heating water heats the water in my hot water cylinder means i have to crank my boiler up but in turn means my rads go red hot as they didn't have any controls on them except the lounge.

I have five rads in my house 2 x bedrooms, 1 x bathroom, 1 x lounge and 1 x kitchen. I have since fitted two drayton trv4's on the bedrooms the bathroom rad is turned off, the lounge rad has an old fashioned knob which you can turn up and down and the kitchen rad is the same as the bathroom but the valve is constantly stuck on.

I want to fix the Kitchen rad by putting another Drayton TRV4 on but looking around the net i have seen people saying that if you have trv's fiited you need to fit an automatic by pass valve, however I have also read that you can get away without fitting a bypass valve if you leave one rad without a trv to maintain the flow of water although it is not an economical solution.

I was thinking in my case this could work for me because i could stick a TRV on the kitchen rad and then leave the bathroom rad on which would kind of act as a bypass valve.

My only other idea would be to fit a basic thermostatic valve to the rad in the kitchen which i am thinking i should have done at the beginning with the two bedroom rads and taking the trv's off the bedroom rads and replacing those with basic valves too. or fitting a bypass valve.

my boiler is a 1998 glow worm ultimate basic jobbie, please could you confirm the above, I have spent alot researching this on the net and have found nothing so I am thinking there will be alot of people out there which would benefit from this question.

Many Thanks. D

:welcome: ..dave

If your boiler is heating the hot water cylinder and all your radiators at the same time then you will always have an open circuit through your cylinder and therefore can fit trv's to all your radiators without any worries. Only problem will come about if you decide to put any kind of zone valve on the hot water cylinder to shut off the flow through it IMO

but if your system is a y or s plan then once water is hot it will shut that side of the circuit down so you will need to keep one rad open if you have no stat. Easiest option would be to keep bathroom rad on all the time , then your towels will be dry too lol

Cheers for the reply.

One thing that has me slightly confused, i have read on the net that you need to keep one rad open if you have TRV's to keep the flow going in the system, however once the TRV has reached the correct temp and shut off the flow to the RAD you still have hot water going back to the boiler on the return. So surley this would maintain a decent flow back through the boiler. Please could you advise????

Regards

D

Cheers for the reply.

One thing that has me slightly confused, i have read on the net that you need to keep one rad open if you have TRV's to keep the flow going in the system, however once the TRV has reached the correct temp and shut off the flow to the RAD you still have hot water going back to the boiler on the return. So surley this would maintain a decent flow back through the boiler. Please could you advise????

Regards

D

its because ENERGY EFF says leaving one rad one all the time is a waste, so every rad should have a trv and then an auto by pass for when they are all shut to protect boiler and pump

U leave one rad with two lockshields rather than one trv + one lockshield. Basically this rad is meant to be Un-adjustable, or open at all times. An auto bypass is not reqd

You should have an auto bypass valve even with one rad with a manual valve - If all the other valves shut off it will put a lot of strain on the pump with just a single rad open.

:welcome: ..dave

If your boiler is heating the hot water cylinder and all your radiators at the same time then you will always have an open circuit through your cylinder and therefore can fit trv's to all your radiators without any worries. Only problem will come about if you decide to put any kind of zone valve on the hot water cylinder to shut off the flow through it IMO

but there should be a control on the cyclinder, and so yes there will need to be an auto by pass

but there should be a control on the cylinder, and so yes there will need to be an auto by pass

I agree in an ideal installation temperature control should be present. :) Thing is though fuzzy the op sounds like they have no control what so ever apart from the boiler thermostat. From what they've described the whole system is either on or off. That put a picture in my mind of the whole lot, cylinder included running on the same pumped circuit. If that is the case then the flow through the cylinder circuit is always going to be open so the need for a bi-pass is not necessary. A lot of assumptions I know and the only way to know for definite is a visit and physical inspection yeh? I just thought though, what if the hot water is actually gravity fed and the op has this work around and thinks everything needs to be on for h/w when it may well not be the case?

If it is gravity then it would be advisable for the heating system to have a radiator without TRV and/or an auto bypass fitted...

The limitations of internet forums eh :)

Always reading similar questions to this, ideally you should get TRV on all rads except the Hall, this should have 2x lockshield valves and also a room stat in the hall. Plus if you can get a auto bypass fitted too, but not really required if the above is done. Unless of course your system is microbore, this will then need a auto bypass fitted too.

Always reading similar questions to this, ideally you should get TRV on all rads except the Hall, this should have 2x lockshield valves and also a room stat in the hall. Plus if you can get a auto bypass fitted too, but not really required if the above is done. Unless of course your system is microbore, this will then need a auto bypass fitted too.

worth noting thwt the by pass is needed for the pump overun also

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to TRV's Do you need to fit an automatic bypass valve as well, help needed please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock