Search the forum,

Discuss TRV controlled radiators passing by in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Is it me or do others have the same. I have out of 23 rads in the house maybe 6 that pass by even when on the frost setting with the room temp at 10 degC. It is as if they need a small solid washer or similar inserted into the trv head to make it act a tad before it would alone. The rads do not get hot but are still warm when they should be totally off.

Doubt it, unless they haven't been fitted correctly but then you'd get an error if that was the case.

Bare in mind that even at frost setting it doesn't allow the system temp to drop below 5 degC.

There's probably crud stuck under or into the valve washer.
Depending on what brand of valves you have, you may be able to change the valve bonnet in the valve.
Some valves bonnets can be changed, with a valve specific tool, when the system is under pressure.

I would change the valves, if it is causing you some concern.

There's probably crud stuck under or into the valve washer.
Depending on what brand of valves you have, you may be able to change the valve bonnet in the valve.
Some valves bonnets can be changed, with a valve specific tool, when the system is under pressure.

I would change the valves, if it is causing you some concern.
Should not be any crud as all new trvs

If you’ve got it balanced nicely, but want to turn a few off. You can do it at the lockshields- just count the number of turns to the nearest 1/8 and WRITE it down somewhere safe. Then you can put it back exactly the same when you want those rads on a bit.
It makes no difference which end is fully closed- there’ll be no flow through that rad.

If you’ve got it balanced nicely, but want to turn a few off. You can do it at the lockshields- just count the number of turns to the nearest 1/8 and WRITE it down somewhere safe. Then you can put it back exactly the same when you want those rads on a bit.
It makes no difference which end is fully closed- there’ll be no flow through that rad.
That is a good one. If I write it down will guarantee is lost come the same evening!

“Notes” on your phone comes in handy here. Most people are so enamoured with their phone that it’s unlikely to get lost!

Reply to TRV controlled radiators passing by in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
I have a downstairs rad that has a 23 year old TRV and it's barely heating up. I bled it, and removed the TRV head and it still just gets a bit warm. It seems to be warm over all the rad, not just at the bottom. The rest of the system heats up fine with the other rads getting hot. It's sealed...
Replies
Views
I have a Nest thermostat in my hallway which gets affected by the front door opening and closing. This thermo operates one zone (downstairs). I have one radiator the other side of the door to thermo. I have another in the study and two more in the lounge. None of the radiators have a TRV and...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was not working. He changed both valves and still the radiator was not working. He put some chemicals in and said it should break up anything that is...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock