Search the forum,

Discuss TRV and main thermostat in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a Nest thermostat in my hallway which gets affected by the front door opening and closing. This thermo operates one zone (downstairs). I have one radiator the other side of the door to thermo. I have another in the study and two more in the lounge. None of the radiators have a TRV and they struggle to heat up. My questions if anyone can help are:-

1) Would adding a TRV to the study and lounge radiators mean they 'ignore' the Nest temp and decide themselves
2) If I don't get a TRV, do I need to keep doors to the study and lounge open at all times (when the zone is on) so that those radiators heat up
3) Without a TRV should they be turned on fully?

The boiler is upstairs so I'm just not getting the study and lounge rads to really heat up and so the boiler can be on for ages trying (in vain) to get to a temp level good enough.

So....are TRVs my answer :)

Last edited:
No.

Is the system balanced and did it work okay before installing Nest?

If so it isn't a lack of TRV's preventing downstairs from heating up sufficiently it's the set up of the stats turning off the boiler prematurely. I'd start over and just install one stat in the study and one in the lounge and take it from there.

Reply to TRV and main thermostat in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised valves simple bi-metal thermostat on wall in flat with 4 standard TRV's rarely used so not worried about the flat, and main house has Nest Gen 3 in the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I just moved into a new house and it has a Glow Worm Compact 24c combi boiler and a ESI ESRTP4RF+ programmable room thermostat and I am wondering if it's worth turning on the optimum start and stop features? There is also something called TPI (chronoproportional control) but I'm not sure how...
Replies
Views
I have a Nest thermostat in my hallway. Our lounge radiators have no TRVs and I cannot get them to come on with any decent amount of heat. Should I be leaving the door open to the lounge so that that room calls for heat or do I need to get TRVs. Or does a TRV not help this problem anyway! Same...
Replies
Views
Would like some help please as my Drayton Wiser system is a mess. I had 2 TRVs in the lounge, one in the main bedroom, the rest of the house - 6 other radiators and 2 bathroom towel radiators are just normal valve s. We live in a 4-bed, 3 storey house, as converted loft. Common problems were...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock