Currently reading:
Toilet Choice

Discuss Toilet Choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NathanW

I am looking at buying a new WC. There are hundreds on models with all different dimensions, but no technical specs to say how they perform.

I notice (using the power of Google) that US toilets have MaP ratings, which basically seem to specify the flushing power/waster removal capacity. Is there any objective way of comparing UK toilets? (cue the jokes...).

US toilets also talk about "bowl wash". Their toilets seem to have a siphon action in the drain which sucks water around the bowl. Do any UK toilets use this mechanism?

Your overthinking this one mate.

Basically you SIT, then you S**T, then you FLUSH.

What more do you need to know ?

Seriously though, stick with a leading brand and you should be ok. Maybe go to a showroom and try one out Jackass style.

WC pans & Suites installed in the UK should comply with BS/EN997;2003 which specifies among other things the flushing performace criteria to be met by the product prior to being offered for sale .. The only problem is that in the UK there is no real surveillance that will ensure that all toilets sold are compliant with that (or any) standard and there does not appear to be any requirement for the products to be marked as such .. unlike (say Australia or the US) where all WC's installed have to prove compliance and have the manufacturing location inspected on a regular basis. :eek:

Your overthinking this one mate.

Basically you SIT, then you S**T, then you FLUSH.

What more do you need to know ?

Seriously though, stick with a leading brand and you should be ok. Maybe go to a showroom and try one out Jackass style.

Thanks Nick, I knew there could be some comedy potential here. Have you noticed that in the US they don't have the little brush next to the throne? I am OK with the the S's (Sit, S**T, and Scarper), but occasionally, someone has to clean up.

Cue Oasis.... "Don't look back in anger, I heard you say".

Stick with the main brands - Ideal Standard, Twyfords, Armitage Shanks, Shires, Roca etc and you will be OK.

Nothing will beat a high level cistern - this is why they are always installed in shcools and colleges etc.

Stick with the main brands - Ideal Standard, Twyfords, Armitage Shanks, Shires, Roca etc and you will be OK.

Nothing will beat a high level cistern - this is why they are always installed in shcools and colleges etc.

gives the kids somewhere to hide their drugs etc:rolleyes:

I once got called out to an overflowing toilet at a college and when I opened the top, I didn't find drugs but a shoe jamming the float valve!

I worked as a bursar in a school years back and the caretaker had one of those drain clearers powered by the old sparlet co2 cylinders. He came trotting into the office to let me know he had cleared the blocked gents staffroom bog by blowing it out with several blasts from the brilliant little blower!!! Ten minutes later one of the female teachers was seen going home complaining that she was using the ladies next door and it had erupted up and around her as she sat down for a bit of relief, lol for the rest of the day and me and the caretaker never dared let on to anyone what had happened.

I used to have a successful career as a teacher, until a horrible incident turned me into a homicidal maniac.
Revenge is a dish best eaten cold!!
(lol)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet Choice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock