Search the forum,

Discuss Thermostatic radiator valves fitted correctly ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nodrog

Hi I am a new member.

I am looking for some advice on whether some thermostatic radiator valves have been fitted correctly.

As part of a loft conversion the plumber fitted new radiators with thermostatic valves. I expected them all to be fitted on the inlet to the radiator, but I found that two were on the inlet and two were on the outlet. I found some instructions that were ambiguous but which seemed to suggest that the valves should be fitted on the inlet.

The plumber says there is no problem, but I have a feeling they should all have been fitted on the inlet side. Can anyone advise me what to look out for in the operation of a thermostatic valve incorrectly installed on the outlet i.e. would the valve fail to operate or operate poorly or what ?

Thanks in advance and apologies if this is question that someone has already asked.

TRV's sense the temperature of the air around them, so as long as they are bidirectional (water is allowed to flow both ways through it) and they are not covered by furniture/ curtains, they will work on either side. They do not need to be on the flow side.

Is there a specific problem with the performance of the system, or is this just a theoretical enquiry?

It should not matter with modern valves.

No, it shouldn't. However, there are a couple of supposedly "bidirectional" TRVs on the market that under certain circumstances, will er... misbehave.

However, if the OP has that problem, I would have expected him to mention is - the symptoms are rather noticeable.

No, it shouldn't. However, there are a couple of supposedly "bidirectional" TRVs on the market that under certain circumstances, will er... misbehave.

However, if the OP has that problem, I would have expected him to mention is - the symptoms are rather noticeable.
Give us a clue Ray .it might come in handy toro.

danfoss valves are ment to be fitted on the return but no one ever fits them that way

Any valve for less than ÂŁ6 with lock shield probably gash . Unless it's the bulldogs !

Always fit trv so it gets best exposure to room temp.

Any valve for less than ÂŁ6 with lock shield probably gash . Unless it's the bulldogs !

Always fit trv so it gets best exposure to room temp.

I've had a few problems with the Bulldogs, they seem to last about just under a year before the heads start failing. I don't fit them anymore.

i was on the danfoss course and that what the boy said should be on the return if i can be assed i upload the doc

i was on the danfoss course and that what the boy said should be on the return if i can be assed i upload the doc

All the domestic stuff is bi directional with a flow direction changing ring.
commercial stuff goes on the return though.

Bulldog ones never given us a bit of bother 100's of them over last 5 years

Iv never moved that ring inside a danfoss valve ever I know it sais it on the instruction but they still seem to work regardless ..

Iv never moved that ring inside a danfoss valve ever I know it sais it on the instruction but they still seem to work regardless ..

Reduces the flow down and they become sticky on the pin/button in time.
when you're next commissioning a system and flick them around.

you can hear the difference

It needs to be pointed the right way. The pin that the thermostat pushes, works against the flow instead of the flow shouting it with a bang.

I was always told best fitted on the return so they are less likely to be influenced by heat rising off the flow pipework.

Check directions of flow. Some bidirectional valves can still make irritating noises if they are fitted with the flow going the wrong way even though they may function.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermostatic radiator valves fitted correctly ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I am trying to install a new single vertical radiator and need to know if matters if the thermostatic valve is connected to the flow or return pipes.
Replies
Views
I have a heating system comprised of skirting radiators that form part of a loop from the boiler, round the house and back. Some rooms get...
Replies
Views
the majority of my radiators have thermostatic valves. Some of these work fine but some of them dont let you adjust the temp. ie. Setting one...
Replies
Views
Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
Hi Guy's, Looking for some advice on an issue I have having with a recently installed thermostatic mixer shower in my ensuite. Everything was...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock