Discuss Thermostat / Timer question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

species

Hi, I currently have quite an old boiler, which has recently be serviced. It's working fine, except that the built in timer has stopped (It's a basic dial unit that just turns on and off the boiler).

I've taken a look and I can confirm that there is power getting to the unit, it just seems like the motor has finally given up the ghost.

As it stands at the moment we are controlling the heating/water by the manual on/off switch on the boiler, but what I was wondering is;

In the living room is the thermostat (which again is a simple dial temperature unit), can I replace this with an electronic one that has a timer & just leave this to control the boiler?

If so, does this just mean setting the boiler to constantly on?

Best regards & thanks

You're talking about two different things. The item on your boiler is a timer and has nothing to do with temperature. The item in your room is a thermostat and has nothing to do with time. Just change the timer on your boiler and you're sorted.

Kevin

In the living room is the thermostat (which again is a simple dial temperature unit), can I replace this with an electronic one that has a timer & just leave this to control the boiler?
Yes

If so, does this just mean setting the boiler to constantly on?
Yes; though you may be able to bypass the internal clock.

Tell us which boiler you have (make and exact model) and we can advise.

Hi, thanks for the response;

The boiler is a Myson Apollo, but i dont know if it's 15/30, 30/50, 40 or 50/65 model, as the wiring diagram shows the one plan with all these models noted above.

Hope this helps, Thanks

The boiler is a Myson Apollo, but i dont know if it's 15/30, 30/50, 40 or 50/65 model, as the wiring diagram shows the one plan with all these models noted above.
Do you mean the Apollo Fanfare?

I doubt if you will be able to get a replacement timer for a boiler that old.

The easiest way to add a programmable thermostat is to disconnect the existing timer. This just means unplugging a 6 pin plug (3 x2); it will disable the clock and the two switches, but not the HI/LO switch. The six pin socket connects to a terminal block labelled L, N, HW, CH etc. You can disconnect the socket from the terminal block if you want to, but it's not necessary.

You must remove any link between HW and ON on the terminal block.

The 230v switched live output from the programmable thermostat is connected to the ON terminal of the terminal block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Thermostat / Timer question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

D
Hi all, i moved recently in new home and realised that there is no room external thermostat wired to the Ideal Combi boiler. There is only...
Replies
Views
Dobsuk
D
I have bought an old house in rural France and it has an oil tank and Unical oil powered boiler (Italian I think). Its a beast of a thing but...
Replies
Views
I have a thermal store heated by a boiler with its own thermostat. I also have a stove with a back boiler. The stove heats water in a separate...
Replies
Views
H
Wishing everyone on tgmhis forum a very happy Christmas!! I am working on a combi boiler which has problem with heating only. Water is heating...
Replies
Views
M
I've got a heating boiler which heats up the water in a tank located in a cupboard upstairs and then from there I get hot water & hearing. I get...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock