Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss supply pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi, went to a house today and they have had some contractors modifying there house, they are having there supply pipe renewed and i think its very dodgy. they have brought the pipe round to the back of the house but instead of going through footings to inside off house they have brought it up on the outside of the wall and plan on drilling it through about a foot up. i thought this was a no no but they have told they home owner that its aloud as long as they insulate it.

doesnt sound too well i have never come acrosss an above ground main.
it cant look too nice with a pipe running all the way up the side of a house.
and maybe will be in danger of being hit or knocked causing leaks
and even if the pipe is insulated outside wont stop it from freezing especially if there is a foot of snow
pipes can freeze in a loft with insulation in the winter.

i think the main should be in a trench at minimum depth of 750 mm until it enters the building
and can be as deep 1350 mm

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks guys. i didnt think you could do that but apparently they sounded convincing, will let the home owner know so it can be sorted before they conect to main stop tap.

dont think they work for the water supplier, home owner said it had been inspected, but if it has been inspected how have they got away with bringing it up the outside wall. its definatly what they are planning cos they have laid the path back down and concreted the pipe in. i thought you could connect the new supply as long as it was after the water boards stop tap, i work for a local council and have never been told that we couldnt, have also had water board out to a leak on the connection to the main stop tap, but because it was the connection on the houses side of the rat box told it was our responsibility to fix it. :confused:

Hi Welly. This type of practice is the reason knowledgeable plumbers do not get involved in this apparently simple work. Householders want a quick fix. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king. The chances are the supply pipe is just under the path, that is why it got finished in good time, Just a thought. Good Luck

contacted one of the councils main men, as its a council house, who is incharge of the modenising of propertys and he has said having the supply pipe coming up on outside wall and then through it is acceptable as there is a new insulating box out that protects it, easier for water board to fit meters apparantly, he says he has proof that is all above board and going to show me so will wait and see. so can i or cant i connect new supplys to the water board stop tap on houses sides, as people have said that i cant and its the water boards yet like i said we had a leak on a joint on the water boards rat box but it was on houses supply pipe so was told it was our responsibility to fix.

There is a water directory of plumbing items/fitting etc that are approved to be used as fit for purpose. You could check the item against this. As to the supply pipe / communication pipe saga. Even legal departments in Water Companies have problems with some situations. In general down stream of building boundary is the responsibility of building owner, any work carried out must comply to water regs. depth, type of pipe fitting, etc. Good Luck

thanks justlead, been and checked out the wras site, seems it is approved, its a non freeze box that houses the water meter on the outside wall. Thought i would check it out though as i had never heard of it before, thanks:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to supply pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and...
Replies
Views
Sonya K
S
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock