Search the forum,

Discuss Strong gloss/varnish smell from back of oil fired boiler- help needed asap. Live in Mawnan near Falmouth. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Very strong varnish/gloss smell from behind oil fired boiler.
Was strong kerosene smell for a week, last 7 days strong gloss/varnish smell.
Needs sorting asap.
Thanks
Mark
Mawnan- Falmouth

I would get an engineer out to investigate asap as you say. There should never have been a strong smell of kerosene anywhere. There's only a handful of us on here with lots of oil experience and I couldn't say if any of the others are your area, I'm certainly not.
If you go onto the OFTEC website you can find a list of OFTEC registered technicians in your area, you can then contact them and book an appointment.

As above, engineer to look at, could be a couple of things, depending on type of burner.

Just one thing about the oftec website, membership doesn''t gaurantee competence. Any neighbours, friends or family who could recommend somebody?

Just to expand on my oftec comment, there are some really good engineers on there, but there are some real muppets as well.

As above, engineer to look at, could be a couple of things, depending on type of burner.

Just one thing about the oftec website, membership doesn''t gaurantee competence. Any neighbours, friends or family who could recommend somebody?

Just to expand on my oftec comment, there are some really good engineers on there, but there are some real muppets as well.
Thanks. It is a Worcester Greenstar Heatslave 25/32 boiler. Grey needle is at 0.5 Bar.

Have a look on the OFTEC website as Simon and I have suggested. I imagine it's a simple fault that doesn't require decades of experience to be able to find and rectify, however you want an engineer with experience as a good engineer is for life.
If you struggle to find someone I have many associates dotted around the country and might be able to find you someone close to you.

Have a look on the OFTEC website as Simon and I have suggested. I imagine it's a simple fault that doesn't require decades of experience to be able to find and rectify, however you want an engineer with experience as a good engineer is for life.
If you struggle to find someone I have many associates dotted around the country and might be able to find you someone close to you.
Thanks. I have tried contacting 2 boilers guys that i have used. No response from either.
We are still alive thank goodness so presumably we can leave boiler on for baths and showers etc. It will get colder soon so need it danger free when central heating is on.
Strong smell of gloss & varnish for last few days...boiler seems danger free 🤞

A faulty nozzle is common but your problem is not going to be caused by that. It's much more likely a gasket has failed, ie burner gasket, flue seals or chamber door seals. However the smell of gloss/varnish is not a smell I've had a customer complain about to be honest. Perhaps you have a slow leak that has soaked into some skirting board etc and when the boiler is running the heat lost through the casing is vapourising the kerosene and you're getting a combined smell?
Any oil leak needs to be rectified immediately, the damage to the environment and fabric and footings of a building can be huge, I've known some remedial works in that situation to be well over 100k!
Do you have any CO testers? If so I would place one by the boiler.
Without being there it's hard to say what it is and what makes it worse your boiler is a combi and you need it for hot water, otherwise I'd say isolate the fuel at the tank for 24-48 hours and see if you notice a difference.

A faulty nozzle is common but your problem is not going to be caused by that. It's much more likely a gasket has failed, ie burner gasket, flue seals or chamber door seals. However the smell of gloss/varnish is not a smell I've had a customer complain about to be honest. Perhaps you have a slow leak that has soaked into some skirting board etc and when the boiler is running the heat lost through the casing is vapourising the kerosene and you're getting a combined smell?
Any oil leak needs to be rectified immediately, the damage to the environment and fabric and footings of a building can be huge, I've known some remedial works in that situation to be well over 100k!
Do you have any CO testers? If so I would place one by the boiler.
Without being there it's hard to say what it is and what makes it worse your boiler is a combi and you need it for hot water, otherwise I'd say isolate the fuel at the tank for 24-48 hours and see if you notice a difference.
Thanks very much. I don't want it leaking into foundations...so difficult to get a local guy here asap

Reply to Strong gloss/varnish smell from back of oil fired boiler- help needed asap. Live in Mawnan near Falmouth. in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock