Search the forum,

Discuss Stripped Gland nut on stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
?

Hi all, I Stripped the gland nut on stopcock like an idiot. I did not pack the gland properly and kept tightening the nut to stop the drip, by doing this i destroyed the nut.

Do i have to freeze the pipe in order to replace the stopcock or is there a way of removing the gland nut?

At least there's no water exploding out of the pipe!

Not sure if **** counts as a name but can you turn the water off outside then replace it?

I presume you mean the incoming stoptap ,if so you should have a external stoptap that you can hopefully turn off and replace the inside one

Hi all, Its a council estate so i can't turn off the mains. Would the only option be freezing the copper pipe?

also thanks for the fast replys :)

I looked for where the pipe came from and theres no stopcock. It just goes through the building and branches off to each kitchen/flat.

Hi, I wasnt trying to be rude. I will change it later. Didn't think really

How will the water be turned off in an emergency

Call the water undertaker & ask them come & turn it off. Then when they arrive watch where it is. Simple

So there will definalty be a mains stopcock somewhere in the flat? I can only find the sink kitchen, bathroom sink/bath and toilet system stopcock

How will the water be turned off in an emergency

Call the water undertaker & ask them come & turn it off. Then when they arrive watch where it is. Simple

Unless they use a long whatdoyoucallit and take it away with them, then yer stuffed!

So there will definalty be a mains stopcock somewhere in the flat? I can only find the sink kitchen, bathroom sink/bath and toilet system stopcock

It won't be in the flat maybe in the street or maybe in a cupboard in a communal hallway

How quick can you snatch? Is it easy to get to? do you have a wet vac?

Reckon croppie should put you on the naughty step for suggesting that to an apprentice! lol

If there was mains water filling your kitchen you wouldn't be joking!!

You'd be crapping yourself

That would be horrible. Plus i dropped my tablet in a bucket of water today so i don't think i would be doing that.

Last question. Would freezing the pipe be my last option?

thanks for all the replays. Its good to know people are around to help.

NoLinkingToThis/p/pipe-freezing-kit-220ml/13369

I will if you guys and girls don't think it will work

you can try but you need at-least 4 inches below the stop tap and then put the freezing collar incase you need to cut the olive off to get the nut off (old thread)

The water undertaker has to (?) provide a stopcock at the end of their pipe where it meets the property's supply pipe. This is usually just inside the boundary, just outside the boundary, or in the case of my house, two doors down in the road itself! They will come and find it for you. If, as happened to me once, you turn it off and then it won't go back on again, they will dig up the pavement and replace it as well. I'm not sure if older flats all have individual external stopcocks or not though...
If you're on a shared supply, ****, you can't isolate your supply without ****ing off the neighbours so you don't have the option of shutting off at the outside stopcock and then spending all day fiddling with your own one.
It may be easier to take the head off a new stopcock and fit the new head to the old body, but be aware it may be a **** to undo without damage, ****.

The water undertaker has to (?) provide a stopcock at the end of their pipe where it meets the property's supply pipe. This is usually just inside the boundary, just outside the boundary, or in the case of my house, two doors down in the road itself! They will come and find it for you. If, as happened to me once, you turn it off and then it won't go back on again, they will dig up the pavement and replace it as well. I'm not sure if older flats all have individual external stopcocks or not though...
If you're on a shared supply, ****, you can't isolate your supply without ****ing off the neighbours so you don't have the option of shutting off at the outside stopcock and then spending all day fiddling with your own one.
It may be easier to take the head off a new stopcock and fit the new head to the old body, but be aware it may be a **** to undo without damage, ****.

maybe not depending on age, have had a set of 10 flats and 2 houses off one main and no stop tap outside, only the ones inside each property

If
a. Its only the gland nut you've wrecked. AND
b. The screw thread inside the tap body into which the gland nut screws is OK AND
c. The handle of the tap can be removed.

THEN you could:

1. Turn the stop tap off.
2. Remove the gland nut.
3. Take it to a plumber's merchant and see if you can get a new stop tap with an identical gland nut.
4. Remove gland nut from new tap and install on old.

Live connections at mains pressure usually means the water comes over your wellies before the fitting can be tightened.

Hi steadyon, thanks a lot for the detailed post. I will do exactly what you said.

cheers

Thanks to everyone else who commented

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Stripped Gland nut on stopcock in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock